Bringing Relatives Over

I looked around the USCIS site and couldn't find anything specific. Is there anyway to bring my wifes 18 year old niece here? :lol:

Would like to know the answer to this one myself. Lisa thinks it would be nice if we brought her parents here. The only way I could find so far was to wait for her to become a USC, then she could file for her parents. Is there a way to do this sooner? What about other relatives?

Love to hear from those who know...

I looked on the USCIS site and a Permanent Resident can apply via I-130 for Husband or Wife, Unmarried Son or Daughter and thats it. You have to be a USC for parents , brothers and sisters. But Nada about Nieces, Nephews or other sorts.

Anyone have a clue??

Do some more checking Gene or maybe someone will confirm this (based on past life experiences in the 1970's). The petition, I believe, is for IMMEDIATE family members.

For my nephew to come to the US we would have had the ex to 1) attain citizenship and 2) then petitioned to have her sister immigrate to the US. Possible backdoor way is to adopt the niece? Check it out closely though. acw

You can file the petition for niece, nephew, cousin but it will take 10 years or so. There's a huge backlog for Chinese immigrants and an annual quota. A newly filed petition goes into the back of the queue.

Usually your wife can only file for her next of kin, such as parents or children, siblings, only after she gains her US citizenship. It will take about 2-5 years. (the case for parents/children takes less time, while the case for siblings takes longer time)

One of my friends went to the States for family immigration. Her aunt (her mother's elder sister) filed for her whole family and her other aunt's whole family. But they had waited for 10 years, and when they left China she was turning 21 in a few months.

I looked around the USCIS site and couldn't find anything specific. Is there anyway to bring my wifes 18 year old niece here? :D

As a Student?????????????? Sounds like the way.

Yea I think that would be about the only way :D