certified copy of USC's passport

i just wanted to shed a little light on this subject, as it cause me a short period of worry for me.

on the plane to go visit edith during her interview, i was reading david's faq. in it there are a few quotes from CFL'ers stating a certified (and/or notarized?? i don't recall) copy of the USC's passport is a new requirement for the interview, or that a denial was issued b/c it was not present.

while reading this, i knew i had NOT prepared this, and i freaked out for a while wondering how i could get on in china with only one day to work with before the interview.

i ened up going to the us citizen service center at the consulate to get my passport copied and certified/notarized. the guy (an asian worker) at the counter said, "no, you don't need it. for some reason, there is a myth going around that this is required for the interview. it is not."

i just said ok, and left. as it turned out, it was NOT asked for during the interview, nor was my passport asked for. (... partly her fault... she for got to mention to the VO that i was present in china!! ... at least it still worked out for us. :blink: )

just wanted to get this out there. i was thinking, is is possible that one of our SO's, who may not speak english too well, came from the interview thinking this was asked for by the VO and it was not? just a thought. was this ever explicitly asked for as additional evidence?

anyway, this info may not be too useful, as it is probably quite easy to obtain a certified copy of your passport if you are in the US. B)

Ryan

I believe this was your case.. the VO did not ask.. I also believe that MANY have asked to see a copy of the USCs passport .. and one person got the slip for not having it... It is in the CFL searchable database...

That being said, it points out the randomness that abounds.. that one VO will ask for "X" and another for "Y"... I think this is the reason for the "Kitchen Sink" approach.. because one has no idea which VO they will get and what will be asked.

I still stand by the idea that if it is easy to get some document that has been requested in the past, you may as well bring it to the interview...

I won't go as far as to say it is required.. I know that one CFL person stated this at the time. It is clear that some patterns do emerge and some documents are asked for at some times and not at others.

I think that experiences like nousername are important, as we then can see what is going on in each case.. All the info we get is great to have.. so I'm not arguing against any one experience. I'll argue for them all ! THANKS !!

david, i agree. if you can get it... GET IT.

it's better to be safe... the kitchen sink approach. :angel:

also, i want to emphasize that my post was mainly about the "certification/notarization" aspect of the passport copy. having at least a plain copy is a must. i'm just calling in to question the certification of it.

It's true that the certified passport is not needed nor requested on the list of things to bring to GZ. This is a case where the SO brought in an orginal passport and told the VO he is here and is waiting for me. The VO even though having the actual passport came out of left field and wanted a certified copy of the passport!

This procedure of getting a certified passport was a suggestion here in case if one of the VOs ask for it again.

Notarizing is a statement in which what's written or filled in is true to the best of your knowledge.

Certification is done when the copy made matches the original document.

david, i agree. if you can get it... GET IT.

it's better to be safe... the kitchen sink approach.  :angel:

also, i want to emphasize that my post was mainly about the "certification/notarization" aspect of the passport copy. having at least a plain copy is a must. i'm just calling in to question the certification of it.

and it was noted some time back that a shift occurred in VOs wanting a certified one... it sent a scare through people... but not clear how warranted that was or still in need.

Good point to present.. but if you have time, get the copy notorized..

hmm, didn't even think of it.  I was just going to bring my real (not a copy) birth certificate to my fiancee for her interview.  I heard that is sufficient?

The advantage of the passport is that it shows the number of visits as well.. so doubles as evidence. I'm guessing that is why the VO often asks for it.. to cross check against the question, "How many times has the petitioner visited you?".

I think they are all about cross checking and see if you answer anything wrong.. just like at customs.. "How long was your trip"... it's right there in the passport, why ask this !!!

hmm, didn't even think of it.  I was just going to bring my real (not a copy) birth certificate to my fiancee for her interview.  I heard that is sufficient?

The advantage of the passport is that it shows the number of visits as well.. so doubles as evidence. I'm guessing that is why the VO often asks for it.. to cross check against the question, "How many times has the petitioner visited you?".

I think they are all about cross checking and see if you answer anything wrong.. just like at customs.. "How long was your trip"... it's right there in the passport, why ask this !!!

good point :angel:

i'll get the certified copy!

oh, i was going to give her my actual passport to bring to the interview anyway (i'll be there with her, actually, if they will let me in to interview as well)

hmm, didn't even think of it.  I was just going to bring my real (not a copy) birth certificate to my fiancee for her interview.  I heard that is sufficient?

good point :angel:

i'll get the certified copy!

oh, i was going to give her my actual passport to bring to the interview anyway (i'll be there with her, actually, if they will let me in to interview as well)

Give her the actually passport and the certified copy.. When she is asked for her passport, she should hand them both over, stating you are here as well... the certified copy will be the 'trump' card in case the VO asks.. and your SO has gone "all in" at that point !!!

I'm eager to hear your outcome.. keep in touch !!

Give her the actually passport and the certified copy..  When she is asked for her passport, she should hand them both over, stating you are here as well...  the certified copy will be the 'trump' card in case the VO asks.. and your SO has gone "all in" at that point !!!

cool i like your approach :unsure:

I will most certainly keep this forum updated on my Australia DCF process. I can't even begin a timeline in my signature because we aren't even married, hehe. But I have been in contact with the Australian visa, and the DCF process is coming together for us. I think this will work out very well. We are in the process of gathering documents and dealing with the finances, and making sure everything is covered :D

Thanks for all of your help!

Give her the actually passport and the certified copy..  When she is asked for her passport, she should hand them both over, stating you are here as well...  the certified copy will be the 'trump' card in case the VO asks.. and your SO has gone "all in" at that point !!!  

cool i like your approach :unsure:

I will most certainly keep this forum updated on my Australia DCF process. I can't even begin a timeline in my signature because we aren't even married, hehe. But I have been in contact with the Australian visa, and the DCF process is coming together for us. I think this will work out very well. We are in the process of gathering documents and dealing with the finances, and making sure everything is covered :D

Thanks for all of your help!

When things fall into place.. you know they are meant to be... best luck to you two !!

Notarizing is a statement in which what's written or filled in is true to the best of your knowledge.

Certification is done when the copy made matches the original document.

i was always a little confused about the difference of these terms.

is a notarized copy of mypassport a certified copy?

if not, how does one get a copy of your passport certified?

I sent my SO a certified copy of my front passport page. Honest just useful for VO in showing that someone is doing work and I think they just want a copy for copies sake. I went to the bank and had them notarize my copies... I got them to do many things (very nice bank). Will it help, it can't hurt.

A notary really just shows that everything you say in this page is true. It is like swearing an oath on the bible I suppose, at least I think of it that way.

Dan

I think they are all about cross checking and see if you answer anything wrong.. just like at customs.. "How long was your trip"...  it's right there in the passport, why ask this !!!

When I arrive at LAX from China they always ask 'where have you been?' Or, how long were you there? Well, let me think- 18 Chinese USC just went through the line ahead of me...............

As for how long- they never flip open the visa page. At least they haven't looked for mine because there are so many. They could never find the right one. :lol: