certified copy of USC's passport

A little footnote: California licensing for Notaries lists the U.S. Passport as a document that can not be notarized. It says nothing about certified so one notary said no and another certified it. It can be certified by DOS. I sent it in my application as proof of U.S. Citizenship and trips to China along with my birth certificate.

Well put. If a VO senses somethings off, he may ask for a notarized airline ticket, or a document he is confident you don't have.   B)

Bingo. Or how about a notarized baggage claim?? Fact is, the fence-riding VO can ask for any additional "evidence" they want to, as long as it somehow vaguely remotely smells of immigration and/or relationship matters.

Asking for such nearly random and/or silly things is a ploy by the VO to push the couple into a "try harder" mode, which ... as my 2-cent theory goes ... proves if the couple has the strength, conviction and wherewithall to *overcome* adversity. Hence why they call this the overcome process. It's a way for the VO to test the couple to see if they really want to be together (if the VO is riding the fence in terms of awarding the visa or not).

Just a couple of comments about certified/notarized copies. Bringing the original passport is better than a certified copy, but the VO may want a copy for the files in which event a certified copy is better than a plain copy or no copy.

As already posted by others, certified indicates that the copy is a true and correct copy of the original, while notarized suggests that the person signing the documents is who he or she claims to be. I remember when I provided copies of my tax returns for Jingwen's interview, I personally certified them and had my signature notarized.

A notary really just shows that everything you say in this page is true.  It is like swearing an oath on the bible I suppose, at least I think of it that way.

A notary only certifies the document was signed in their presence, and the person signing presented proper proof of their identity. It makes no claim as to the validy of the content, or even that the signer claimed it to be true.

Bringing the original passport is better than a certified copy, but the VO may want a copy for the files in which event a certified copy is better than a plain copy or no copy.

This is a very reasonable argument... the thing that bothers me is that there is once case of the USC being present and the passport being presented ,but the VO blue slipped them and one of the items requested was a certified copy of the passport.

The USC stormed the embassy in obvious disbelief.. and the embassy certified it for him...

So, even if you plan to be at the interview, I still stand by the idea of bringing a certified copy...

Bringing the original passport is better than a certified copy, but the VO may want a copy for the files in which event a certified copy is better than a plain copy or no copy.

This is a very reasonable argument... the thing that bothers me is that there is once case of the USC being present and the passport being presented ,but the VO blue slipped them and one of the items requested was a certified copy of the passport.

The USC stormed the embassy in obvious disbelief.. and the embassy certified it for him...

So, even if you plan to be at the interview, I still stand by the idea of bringing a certified copy...

I agree. It really torques me that someone would get blue slipped for having the original but not a certified copy. Maybe the VO doesn't have the authority or ability to make a copy or to certify a copy. :wub:

I agree. It really torques me that someone would get blue slipped for having the original but not a certified copy. Maybe the VO doesn't have the authority or ability to make a copy or to certify a copy. :blink:

right.. one of those things we'll never quite understand the way a VO does... but kind of like they wont take the time to view a VHS even if you had it there, they won't have time to certify it...

The process is tripping over itself like a drunk walking down the street... and we can't even lend a hand to steady the poor sod !

Ok. I'm a little lost. How do you get a passport certified?  I just had copies of mine notarized. Is this wrong?

yeah, i am still wondering the same thing me too.

i know what notorization is. i know what a notary pulic is. i know how to get a document notarized. i understand the difference in definition (given by a few) between "notariztion" and "certification", but that does not answer the question:

is a notarized copy of a passport, considered a "certified copy"?

(if not, how does one get a copy of a passport certified.)