In China? Wanna use the Internet?

In China it is very common for a business owner to have rooms of 100 computers, or more. They are called "wanba" and cost about 3-5 yuan per hour. They are usually filled with students playing video games but you can easily access the Internet there.

Avoid the Hotel business centers which cost 40-50 yuan for 15 minutes.

I traveled to China once without my laptop. I went to an internet "cafe" (there were no food or drinks there) near my SO's apartment. Bought a rechargeable card that you just slide into a pay slot on one of their computers. I was able to check email, even downloaded some photos. Piece of cake.

Haven't tried the small "wanbai". Those come and go in all corners of most Chinese cities.

I also arranged for my SO to get dialup internet service in her apartment. Slow as hell, but on another trip I brought my laptop, and was able to use it to handle email.

Depending what city you're visiting, you'll find several major hotels with wireless hotspots and/or in-room ISDN. Typically, they want you to be a guest, but you can prepay for wireless time in most places. There are also a few (very few) coffee shops with wireless hotspots. Haven't tried any of those yet.

The first time I was in Nanning, I booked my own hotel. After that Fanny got us a room thru her brother. He's a bellhop at a really nice hotel.

The first time he got me a regular room with a king size bed for 35 rmb per nite. That's basically free since we also got free breakfast coupons and free drink coupons.

The last time I was there, I brought along some CD's of Mp3's I made for Fanny. So he got us an executive room, since it had a computer in it. I think that one was 85 rmb / nite.

I'll have to see if we can negotiate a Candle discount, since I know many here go to Nanning.

PF