Hey all,

Juxin recently received the conditional permanent resident stamp thing (a.k.a. the temporary green card stamp) in the back of her Chinese passport.

As such we thought it would be nice to drive up to Vancouver BC next weekend. There's no doubt that she will be able to get back into the US.

But what about getting into Canada? Will they let her in? Does she have to apply for a Canadian tourist visa, or will they treat her as a "regular" permanent resident since she has the stamp in her Chinese passport?

FYI, she also has her official State of Oregon DMV-issued identification card that shows her last name the same as mine. Can she get into Canada with that??

Hmmm I would contact Canada over this one Jim. I know if she has her green card it will be no problem. Bing and I went to Victoria last November. The catch is whether or not Canada will recognise the stamp in her passport. Of course BC isn't all that far so if they won't let her in you can always enjoy a nice weekend in Seattle.

My impression is that Canada will pretty much let anyone into their country, at any POE, even if they are just off a plane from Germany or the middle East...

On one trip back to the US from China, I stood directly behind a Chinese couple at SFO who had no visa to enter America, and the CO was about to detain them for a return flight to China, but they convinced him to send them to Canada instead!

Guest blsqueaky

To my knowledge, all that she needs right to show is her DMV, but I know that soon, everyone entering Canada will need passport, part of Homeland Security. I travel, or up till 3 months ago, travelled Canada all of the time, and was only asked for DMV

Guest blsqueaky
Thanks guys for the info!  I think we're gonna go for it  :)

Jim, have a great trip over. I know that she will enjoy (well maybe, they are a little different up there) :o B) :D :P