Chinese communities

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown. Laupoh and I were just there yesterday and it was well worth the trip from Wisconsin. There is a new open mall development that had many restaurants and Chinese shops of every type. There were 2 large grocery stores with everything Luli would need for her Chinese specialties-butchers, live seafood, etc. Need less to say I left behind many $$$ and the trunk was full for the drive home. We had a great dinner with a fresh fish, shrimp and a beef dish, vegetables, etc. There is another newer Chinatown in the city also but I am told it is more Vietnamese and Cambodian. I know we will be returning often to eat and shop but my gummint job would make it impossible to leave where we live although there are very few asians anywhere near here.

How dare you go to Chicago china town and not invite me!!!

hey, how come i didn't know you were from Chy town??? Where 'bouts??

Next time you go ya best lemme know dude!!

I thought you knew I was from Chi town. I think you are probably getting CRS in your old age... :lol: :lol: :D

I am a North side boy.. lived in the northwest suburb of Norridge from the age of 6 until I skedaddled at 18 for college in the wilds of Wisconsin... :o

Ahhh. Northside-that explains it all. I grew up on the southside near 63rd and cottage (helluva neighborhood). I my late teens I moved to the near west side-then Cicero. Off to Wisconsin for a year then TN.

Sometime before the sommer is over my wife wants to visit the windy. Wanna hook up around china town??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown. Laupoh and I were just there yesterday and it was well worth the trip from Wisconsin. There is a new open mall development that had many restaurants and Chinese shops of every type. There were 2 large grocery stores with everything Luli would need for her Chinese specialties-butchers, live seafood, etc. Need less to say I left behind many $$$ and the trunk was full for the drive home. We had a great dinner with a fresh fish, shrimp and a beef dish, vegetables, etc. There is another newer Chinatown in the city also but I am told it is more Vietnamese and Cambodian. I know we will be returning often to eat and shop but my gummint job would make it impossible to leave where we live although there are very few asians anywhere near here.

How dare you go to Chicago china town and not invite me!!!

hey, how come i didn't know you were from Chy town??? Where 'bouts??

Next time you go ya best lemme know dude!!

I thought you knew I was from Chi town. I think you are probably getting CRS in your old age... :lol: :lol: :D

I am a North side boy.. lived in the northwest suburb of Norridge from the age of 6 until I skedaddled at 18 for college in the wilds of Wisconsin... :o

Ahhh. Northside-that explains it all. I grew up on the southside near 63rd and cottage (helluva neighborhood). I my late teens I moved to the near west side-then Cicero. Off to Wisconsin for a year then TN.

Sometime before the sommer is over my wife wants to visit the windy. Wanna hook up around china town??

Hey that would be great...Let me know when you'll be around... :D

Guest blsqueaky

The market that you are talking about in Chi Town, is that the one that is off of I-57 around pershing, or am I thinking aout another one. I just remember you get off the interstate, go down a small little hill, and right there on the right, large market

Probably late July. Not sure when but we are definatly going to head up that way this summer.  late July will give me time to grow my mustache back--don't wanna make you look bad dude!!

Don't worry about the mustache...I already know who's in charge... :lol:

The market that you are talking about in Chi Town, is that the one that is off of I-57 around pershing, or am I thinking aout another one. I just remember you get off the interstate, go down a small little hill, and right there on the right, large market

The old Chinatown is just southwest of the loop Mark, at Cermak and Wentworth, 2200 south-200 west, not far from the Dan Ryan expressway running through the city. The mall that we went to is right there also but the newer Chinatown is around 1900 Argyle. We didn't have time to check that out but will within the next 2 weeks because we will be going back to show little sister the area.

I could be wrong but i think it used to be 22cnd street. I thought Cermak was a mayor of Cicero and they named 22cnd st in cicero after him--He man, i've slept since i left there-I can't be sure about everything.

Anton Cermak was mayor of Chicago from 1931 until 1933 when he was shot by an assassin who was trying to kill FDR... :lol:

Guest blsqueaky
I'm not sure which one he is talking about but  I think it's I-55 around Archer avenue.

I don't remember I-57 goimg into chicago!

Trigg, that is the one that I am thinking about, if going north on 55, get off the ramp, turn right, down the hill, right on the right hand side,

And yes, 57 goes to chicago, ends on I-94, and yes, there is a Cermak Street.

If I could find my Atlas right now here, I could tell you exactly where I am thinking about, I just know, a very large building on the right side, and lots of produce

QUOTE (blsqueaky @ Dec 22 2004, 03:50 PM)

Chicago, hop, skip and a jump for me. If I remember right, off of I-55, large Chinese Market, fresh food, or maybe off of I-57. I might even be able to just schedule a run that way. (Yeah, like I want to bring the truck.)

Your right about the Chinese Market. In fact, it is on Archer Ave. off of I-55 which is right at the entrance to Chinatown in Chicago. There are allot of restaurants and other shops in the area which includes a public stage and cobblestone foundation

I could be wrong but i think it used to be 22cnd street. I thought Cermak was a mayor of Cicero and they named 22cnd st in cicero after him--He man, i've slept since i left there-I can't be sure about everything.

Anton Cermak was mayor of Chicago from 1931 until 1933 when he was shot by an assassin who was trying to kill FDR... :huh:

Chicago -Cicero-close enough. the only mayor i ever knew was his majesty King Richard J Daley.

well i was in the ball park with Cermak-at least he was a mayor. Maybe it's cermak in the city and 22cnd in cicero??

Hey North side boy. You a Cubbies fan?? You lived there when it was 'say hey kid' E. Banks SS- 1st, Beckard 2cnd, D. Kessinger ss, R santo 3rd, R Hundly C , 'sweet swingin' Billy Williams L, J Pepitone Center, F Jenkins P , and someone i can't remember in right- maybe Rick Monday. I've been drunk with all of them. Most fans headed to the Cubbie Bear loung on Addison after the game. I always went to Lefties Bleachers bar and grill off of Shelton avenue (maybe) that's were the Cubbies hung out after the games.

Ahhh, memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest blsqueaky

Anton Cermak was mayor of Chicago from 1931 until 1933 when he was shot by an assassin who was trying to kill FDR... :huh:

Chicago -Cicero-close enough. the only mayor i ever knew was his majesty King Richard J Daley.

well i was in the ball park with Cermak-at least he was a mayor. Maybe it's cermak in the city and 22cnd in cicero??

Hey North side boy. You a Cubbies fan?? You lived there when it was 'say hey kid' E. Banks SS- 1st, Beckard 2cnd, D. Kessinger ss, R santo 3rd, R Hundly C , 'sweet swingin' Billy Williams L, J Pepitone Center, F Jenkins P , and someone i can't remember in right- maybe Rick Monday. I've been drunk with all of them. Most fans headed to the Cubbie Bear loung on Addison after the game. I always went to Lefties Bleachers bar and grill off of Shelton avenue (maybe) that's were the Cubbies hung out after the games.

Ahhh, memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayum, you are from there, and now you are getting lost. Are you sure that when you go back, you will be able to find your way around again. Soooo many new roads, sooooo many ner interstates, and nooooooo sheep, they have already gone by the wayside, down by the old kosher meat market on Pershing