Chinese communities

Interesting data site. I see they pretend Jews don't exist again even though the U.S. gov restored Jews to minority status under Reagan. Oh well maybe that means discrimination has ended :lol: I guess the data might help in finding cities with things oriented towards a particular group or to put together a mailing list to sell stickers that say "I'm _______ and I'm Proud!"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky

I know that if I was to move, I would probably have to get up to the Northwest area, Seattle. There is a small one there, small little china town, at least there was when I lived there back in the late 70's. Always enjoyed going there for dinner, plus out by the airport, a place called South China Gate, great owners, let me come back in the kitchen when they were making my dinner, and teaching me how to cook, but that was so long ago, I hae forgotten everything that they taught me, and one very lovely daughter. They would not let me date her because back then, they did not believe in inter-racial.

Perhaps you mean the Arahats or disciples of Buddha.  Did you ever do the thing of determining your character and yearly fortune by counting steps for the number you are old from entering the temple? The Arahat you end up in front of represents your character and how you will deal with this year of your life. The statues are both to the left and right of the entrance. Men walk to the left and women  to the right. I ended up in front of a statue that looked so much like me it made the woman interpreting it laugh. Luckily he turned out to be a good disciple and like me was a teacher. The Arahats came from all walks of life and followed many paths. The display of the statutes represents all the characters of humanity and how each can improve through Buddhist study.

doesn't sound familiar.. the only "left vs right" thing was I was told to always cross the step [into the entrance] with one particular foot ... which I cannot remember now, and the woman with the other foot. Once, after being told, I about to step across with the wrong foot and realized it in mid-air.. made a kind of flying foot swap and got Zixuan laughing. :lol: I wasn't laughing.. I have no idea the karma I bring on myself for using the wrong foot ! :lol:

I know that if I was to move, I would probably have to get up to the Northwest area, Seattle. There is a small one there, small little china town, at least there was when I lived there back in the late 70's. Always enjoyed going there for dinner, plus out by the airport, a place called South China Gate, great owners, let me come back in the kitchen when they were making my dinner, and teaching me how to cook, but that was so long ago, I hae forgotten everything that they taught me, and one very lovely daughter. They would not let me date her because back then, they did not believe in inter-racial.

Seattle has the 10th largest Chinese community in the US. Here in Portland Chinatown is pretty small but according to the link 1.4% is Chinese, about 7500.

THe list also showed that going east of L.A. on the I-10 or I-60 five cities in a row have more than 33% Chinese populations. THis is both a blessing and a curse. It means everything you are used to in China is available but it also means there is little drive to learn how things are done in America.

We have a huge cinese population in the town i live in-Two when we are in town.  Middle TN is NOT a mecca for Chinese. Atlanta is the closest southern city that sports a large Chinese population.

Atlanta's Chinese community is estimated at about 50,000 of the total 250,000 estimated Asians living in the metro area. Incidentally, according the 2000 census data, the majority are mainland Chinese.

Yes, the chinese that live in the north Atlanta areas all live mostly in middleclass to affluent areas of the city. Many own businesses here.

We have a huge cinese population in the town i live in-Two when we are in town.  Middle TN is NOT a mecca for Chinese. Atlanta is the closest southern city that sports a large Chinese population.

Atlanta's Chinese community is estimated at about 50,000 of the total 250,000 estimated Asians living in the metro area. Incidentally, according the 2000 census data, the majority are mainland Chinese.

Yes, the chinese that live in the north Atlanta areas all live mostly in middleclass to affluent areas of the city. Many own businesses here.

I read somewhere that the median annual income for mainland Chinese in Atlanta is about $58,000 and about $85,000 for those from Taiwan - not bad for an immigrant community.

Of course Frank!

Can't keep Chinese down! too innovative and hard working!

Here in Portland, we have a "historic" China Town, where almost no Chinese now live, but, still, has the second largest China gate in the US (next to San Francisco) --- also a wonderful, and authentic Chinese Garden (Suzhou style) ---- but now that I think about it, there is one way to keep Chinsese down in America ----- persicute the hell out of em'

---- thats what did in the historic Chinatown in Portland ------

---- thankfully, since that time, (turn of the 20th. cent.) alot has happened ---- The Chinese community has largely moved here to my area in SE Porland, and some in SW..

Seems very vigiorous to me --- my daughters learn Mandarin in the public school, and I recently had a run-in at a local Chinese food market, and told them I would never shop there again.... (easy for me to say, since there are many local Chinese markets!)

I recently had a run-in at a local Chinese food market, and told them I would never shop there again....    (easy for me to say, since there are many local Chinese markets!)

Oh? do tell.

We have a huge cinese population in the town i live in-Two when we are in town.  Middle TN is NOT a mecca for Chinese. Atlanta is the closest southern city that sports a large Chinese population.

We actually have three and a half down here in Ardmore, only two if my family is out of town. Salina, our daughter, accounts for the half. The other couple owns the local Chinese take-out.

We actually have three and a half down here in Ardmore, only two if my family is out of town. Salina, our daughter, accounts for the half. The other couple owns the local Chinese take-out.

In five or six years you will be part of Huntsville. Maybe a new Chinatown around Harvest?

We just returned from Chinatown Atlanta this evening. LaoPo says "many GuangZhou people here. We move here!" Sorry darling, but the money is here. We have a good Chinese market here, but we still managed to bring home a cooler full of goodies. Pork bones, various roots, and the fish were still kickin'. Fresh for Yue means it ain't quite dead yet.