Chinese communities

Has anyone thought to move close by a chinese community?

As for the east coast, I am aware of two in New York (Chinatown and Flushing).. Rockville, Maryland (next town to where I grew up) is fastest growing chinese population in that state... Have heard of one (?) one in florida...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky

We have a very nice size one here in Columbus. Unless you lived there, you would not know it. They are very tight knit. It is real close to OSU, and I have not a clue how many chinese students therre, plus there families here. This is why she loves this one little supermarket there, plus there are some out of the way restruants that unless you knew that they were there, you would miss them, and you get the real authenticate food.

Living near to L.A. I would have a hard time avoiding a Chinese community. The last figures I saw were 160,000 from Taiwan 200,000 from China and 90,000 from Hong Kong. The cities of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Rosemead and Hacienda Heights have few businesses with English only signs. In fact more have Chinese only.

So if you want to buy Chinese books, dvds, jewelry, buddhist or taoist alters or goods of almost every sort and buy a car from the chinese dealer, open a Chinese bank account, need a Chinese lawyer or real estate agent drop on over. While your here we can get together at whatever style Chinese Restaurant you like.

Anybody know about any Chinese communities in Texas (i.e. the San Antonio area)? I live about 65 miles NW of San Antonio and there are some Chinese families in my town, but I have had little contact with them. Drop me a line and let me know.

Living near to L.A. I would have a hard time avoiding a Chinese community. The last figures I saw were 160,000 from Taiwan 200,000 from China and 90,000 from Hong Kong. The cities of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Rosemead and Hacienda Heights have few businesses with English only signs. In fact more have Chinese only.

LA county also has a Little Tokyo, A Little Saigon (Orange County), and a Korean town. Eating Asian food in LA is the best. In Hacienda Heights, there is a very nice buddhist temple.

So if you want to buy Chinese books, dvds, jewelry, buddhist or taoist alters or goods of almost every sort and buy a car from the chinese dealer, open a Chinese bank account, need a Chinese lawyer or real estate agent drop on over. While your here we can get together at whatever style Chinese Restaurant you like.

what's the cost of living like?

what's the cost of living like?

Big bucks. Living in California is expensive. I used to live there.

We have a huge cinese population in the town i live in-Two when we are in town.  Middle TN is NOT a mecca for Chinese. Atlanta is the closest southern city that sports a large Chinese population.

Atlanta's Chinese community is estimated at about 50,000 of the total 250,000 estimated Asians living in the metro area. Incidentally, according the 2000 census data, the majority are mainland Chinese.

Tony how'd you miss Little Manila along Temple Street near downtown. I use to buy roasted pigs there for parties and eat diniguan and fried patas.

Hsi Lai Su Buddhist Temple is just like the ones in China. It is big and on a hillside. Many monks live and study there. Hey David are you interested?

Homes are very high low end right now 400,000. Gas is among the highest in U.S. even though the refineries are here. However I do not use a heater or air conditioner and you need no winter change of clothes. Public transportation is poor. It also helps as you cross L.A. to be bilingual. Any two of the following would get you through the city. Spanish and English tied at first and then Korean, Armenian or Chinese (Putonghua passed Guangdonghua a few years ago for usage here).

Hsi Lai Su Buddhist Temple is just like the ones in China. It is big and on a hillside. Many monks live and study there. Hey David are you interested?

On our trip through Yunnan, we visited a few Temples.. had our future 'divined' at one. We shook the long stick thingy out of the container... had our names written on a scarf and then hung on a wall. At this point, she didn't really speak any chinese and yet, we both felt our future was being defined at that temple. Later we both shared that was our favorite part of the 2 week trip. There was only one [other] Temple that I felt compelled to do the 'bowing' at. It's interesting how that suddenly affects one. It had stautues of 40+ masters. I never did get to talk to any monks, but I still would like to...

Perhaps you mean the Arahats or disciples of Buddha. Did you ever do the thing of determining your character and yearly fortune by counting steps for the number you are old from entering the temple? The Arahat you end up in front of represents your character and how you will deal with this year of your life. The statues are both to the left and right of the entrance. Men walk to the left and women to the right. I ended up in front of a statue that looked so much like me it made the woman interpreting it laugh. Luckily he turned out to be a good disciple and like me was a teacher. The Arahats came from all walks of life and followed many paths. The display of the statutes represents all the characters of humanity and how each can improve through Buddhist study.