K3+CR1 faster than CR1?

Guest Gene

Welcome Aboard.

I have only heard that if they meet at the consulate, the person will get the CR-1. USCIS is processing October 4th 2004 for the I-129.

You don't have to do anything. They will combine in GZ and notify the person in China that the interview has been changed. They will also send the P3 for the CR1 interview.

I don't know if doing K3 and CR1 is necessary now, based on timelines. It was in my case, as CR1's were taking forever, and supposidly K3's were processing more quickly.

In my case, all of a sudden CA started processing CR1's very quickly. It was approved and in process at NVC when the K3 was finally approved. In my case it was beneficial because the K3 spent significantly less time at NVC. It got us into the queue at GZ for an interview in December.

So our P4 was sent out 1 month ago. Our CR1 paperwork was received in GZ 2 weeks ago. Fanny was called to let her know.

PF

I have heard that if K3 and CR1 are combined, then the pre-interview namecheck is not needed (because namecheck for K3 was already conducted in NVC), and hence that will make the process time shorter than CR1 alone. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

There was a thread on here (not too long ago) that some had asked one of the GZ reps the same question over the phone. the reply was "CR1 is longer than K1."

From what I see, CR1 beats K3 by a few weeks. I don't get it though. I thought that if you are married in China, the I-130(K3) to CSC is manditory and the 129F(K1) was optional. I saw an article on uscis.gov this week that said the the 129F(K1) to Chi town is not optional for "K3" apps. The K3, becomes CR1 after CSC's approval (it happens quickly now.) So the K3 and K1 are running parrallel to each other. Why do people refer to the living 129F app as K3??? It's really a K1. the term "K3" is essencially garbage after you start using the term "CR1".

In my last letter from NVC, the one telling me the app is on it's way to GZ, refered to CR1 is a "conditional spouse". Geez guys... you can't take my wife away too can you??? Am I the only one that got that letter or are they doing that to everyone??? They meant to say "conditional resident".... I hope.

K1 = I129F sent to your regional service center for couples who are not married

K3 = I129F sent to Chi for couples who are married

The only real diff between K1 and K3 is which service center the paperwork is sent to. And yes the K3 is optional. I've seen more and more folks say they will not pursue the K3 after their K1 is sent in.

A rep at GZ or another person can not blindly tell you which one is quicker. It depends on which service center is processing your CR1.

The CR1 will sit at the NVC for 3-4 months while you get all your paperwork sent in. The K visa's only stay at the NVC for 1 month. So if the time diff between your service center and Chi is significant enough, the K3 is still worth filing.

In my case and many other's the only purpose of the K3 is to get us a place in line for the interview several months quicker. While the CR1 finishes processing and is received at GZ. In my case I guesstimate the K3 helped Fanny to get an interview 5 months earlier then if just the CR1 was sent thru.

I have heard that if K3 and CR1 are combined, then the pre-interview namecheck is not needed (because namecheck for K3 was already conducted in NVC), and hence that will make the process time shorter than CR1 alone. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Nope, they still do the namecheck.

For people dealing with China, if you're married, I still would advise sending in the application for K3 ... because even though CR-1s are getting approved much faster than K3s at the USCIS service centers, the CR-1 takes much longer at the NVC stage. So the time savings is not as great as you would think. And then if you should have any problem or tie-up in the CR-1 case, such as an RFE, then the K3 case could surpass it. The K3 is like an insurance policy.