The great firewall of China

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen...15-a5cbb1842292

I was just surfing around and saw this article. I can't count how many times times I was chatting with my wife and sent her a link from a site I wanted her to check out and her reply was, "it won't open." I figured it was her browser settings or something. I guess the "Great Wall" has gone digital now. That sucks.

Very interesting... I noticed an inability to get to certain sites as well, that were in the US. If anyone has a webpages on AOL (members.aol.com), then these cannot be seen from china... That article's 'politically sensitive' word is pretty scary business over there... I won't even type it, say it, know it... Just play Schlutz on this one...

You can't view any free sites such as geocities or angelfire. I dunno why.

Also certain key words like tibet, tianamen, falun gong.... those websites won't open either. It can be very, very frustrating- if you take the time to install proxy server you can get past it, but that slows down even more an already exteremely slow service.

Thr problem lies in the fact that China Telecom, a state-owned monopoly, is the only real ISP in China. Every time Beiging gets a hardon for somebody over God knows what they block access to all the associated websites. For the nearly 3 years I was there, I was never able to access any of the BBC sites. I guess that they were REALLY pissed at the brits. For most of the time I was there the NY Times and the LA Times were blocked, and for a period of about 2 months, they even had Yahoo, Google, and the US consulate sites blocked. Go figure :)

Jenny was telling me that during the recent riots over the Japanese there was much discussion on 001 about the Japanese. The government came in and shut down the site for a couple of days and wiped out all of those threads

but it would be nice to know the tenor of the comments.. anti-japanese? Maybe they just didn't want it to incite anything... Can you imagine what a group of visa waiting chinese women could do ??

Jenny was telling me that during the recent riots over the Japanese there was much discussion on 001 about the Japanese. The government came in and shut down the site for a couple of days and wiped out all of those threads

but it would be nice to know the tenor of the comments.. anti-japanese? Maybe they just didn't want it to incite anything... Can you imagine what a group of visa waiting chinese women could do ??

Oh, yes, very anti-Japanese. My SO has a real hatred of them which I can not seem to reason with.

as far as what a group of visa waiting women can do, every time there is some issue (e.g. recent posts here) there is quite a large commotion on that site. I think part of it is that they have no diversions for their attention. :(

I heard that google signed some kind of deal with China- they wouldn't mention any negative news on their site about China, in exchange for letting Chinese people access google without being blocked.

It's true- if you see a news story on yahoo news about China, most likely you won't be able to find it on google news.

as far as what a group of visa waiting women can do, every time there is some issue (e.g. recent posts here) there is quite a large commotion on that site. I think part of it is that they have no diversions for their attention.  :rolleyes:

I think this commotion is called gossip...

I heard that google signed some kind of deal with China- they wouldn't mention any negative news on their site about China, in exchange for letting Chinese people access google without being blocked.

It's true- if you see a news story on yahoo news about China, most likely you won't be able to find it on google news.

When I tried to get to google (www.google.com) from china, I was always ported to their google counterpart in china...

Many computer people I meet in china all liked using google as their choice for searching...

As I traveled or used hotel or cafe internet the access varied considerably. Sometimes gov issue and sometimes computer lacked programs to view like adobe and java. Settings varied and with everything set to Chinese I didn't try adjusting much but did manage to add programs on one and get what I sought. The biggest problem I have had was internet speed and interruptions.

When I tried to get to google (www.google.com) from china, I was always ported to their google counterpart in china...

Many computer people I meet in china all liked using google as their choice for searching...

This has nothing to do with if you "like" to use google or not. It's about google signing a deal with the Chinese government not to post negative news on their site about China.