• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have said that if you email GUZ, your in their system as inquiring.. It would be nice to know if calling DOS also puts you in the system as inquiring.. I'd frankly do both if it helps 'document' our effort to get some information... but clearly depend on DOS for the best information...

I think the 30-day customs hold is baloney excuse. A year ago, I sent a box of photo albums to Fuzhou by lowest cost US post office and it arrived in 10 days. More recently I sent a small package from HongKong to Shanghai and arrived in 5 days, and a package from Shanghai to HongKong that arrived in 4 days.

All these comments about 30-day customs hold are complete baloneys. It's more likely the Consulate holds the package for additional 2 - 3 weeks before processing them.

We sent out P3 back to Guangzhou, for K3 visa, on April 19.  As of this morning they still don't have it in their system, according to the State Department.

Is that a longer-than-normal amount of time?

It took a couple of months for anyone at DOS to fess up to actually having received our P3. I think it depends on who answers the phone. Call often enough, you might fine someone that GAS. The same info is in the computer in DC as in GZ.

The White Swan Hotel may be the receipt point for consulate mail. You may try calling them if it was sent Chinese EMS. DHL/Customs will not be an issue for a P3 mailed from within China.

Oh, right ... they aren't working in Gangzhou this week, are they?  So that could explain part of the delay, I guess?

They were not working the 1st thru the 3rd, they should be back at it. I just sent an e-mail asking about our p4, so let's see if they respond. :o

How do you figure that they were only off the 1st through the 3rd? My wife says most Chinese employers give their employees all of this week off. And my understanding is that the Guangzhou's workers are off for both Chinese and American holidays.

2005 Holiday Schedule

The Consulate is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. We are CLOSED on the following American and Chinese holidays:

December 31 Friday New Year's Day US & China

January 17 Monday Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday US

February 9, 10, 11 Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Lunar New Year China

February 21 Monday Presidents' Day US

May 2, 3, 4 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday International Labor Day China

May 30 Monday Memorial Day US

July 4 Monday Independence Day US

September 5 Monday Labor Day US

October 3, 4, 5 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Chinese National Day China

October 10 Monday Columbus Day US

November 11 Friday Veterans' Day US

November 24 Thursday Thanksgiving Day US