SSN, EAD, AND AOS

I'm a little confused. Soon I will apply for AOS. We got the SSN with no problem. And on her I-94 is says "employment authorized" because somewhere along the line before the interview in Guangzhou I checked some box telling them she might want to work. So when I apply for the AOS do I also have to apply for EAD form I-765?

I'm a little confused.  Soon I will apply for AOS.  We got the SSN with no problem.  And on her I-94 is says "employment authorized" because somewhere along the line before the interview in Guangzhou I checked some box telling them she might want to work.  So when I apply for the AOS do I also have to apply for EAD form I-765?

It says employment authorized because you are K-1. K-3 does not get this on there I-94 card..

While we're on this subject  :rolleyes: ................................

I am sending my step daughter's I-765 (Employment Authorization) in, but when I copied her I-94 there was no A#. Only her mother's name.

Does she use her mother's A#? I assume I do.

I did-it worked for us.

While we're on this subject  :rolleyes: ................................

I am sending my step daughter's I-765 (Employment Authorization) in, but when I copied her I-94 there was no A#. Only her mother's name.

I did-it worked for us.

Thanks Trigg,

That's good news because I mailed it yesterday.

While we're on this subject  :rolleyes: ................................

I did-it worked for us.

Thanks Trigg,

That's good news because I mailed it yesterday.

That's the same way I operate. Do it today and then tomorrow ask if I did it right.

Procrastinate NOW!! Don't put it off!!

Guest Gene
While we're on this subject  :D ................................

Marty is your step-daughter here on a K-4? If so have you filed an I-130 for her? I just filed the I-130 for my new son and he got his own A# on the NOA1 from the I-130, also if you send in the I-765 without doing an adjustment of status at the same time it is about a year for the EAD

Guest Gene
for K1 you MUST file the I-485 either before or at the same time you file for the EAD.  They will not allow you to file EAD before you file I-485!!!!

I think Marty did a K-3, his timeline shows he was married and then he filed, so I assume( theres that word again) he brought his daughter over on a K-4 from his wife's K-3. Doesn't he also have to file a I-130 his daughter along with everything else? Then he would have a A# number for his daughter.

for K1 you MUST file the I-485 either before or at the same time you file for the EAD.  They will not allow you to file EAD before you file I-485!!!!

I think Marty did a K-3, his timeline shows he was married and then he filed, so I assume( theres that word again) he brought his daughter over on a K-4 from his wife's K-3. Doesn't he also have to file a I-130 his daughter along with everything else? Then he would have a A# number for his daughter.

In a word-I dunno!!!

My stepdaughter is K-4. She interviewed with her mom (well actually she just stood there and mom did all the answering).

The I-130 for my stepdaughter was sent with her to the consulate for the interview. I will have to provide another one when I do the AOS. EAD only asks for copies of her passport & visa. The white card stapled to the passport would have the A# on the back side. That was the case for mom.

Daughter only had her mother's name.

I only did the EAD this time, instead of both EAD and AOS because I was hoping it would be faster getting the interview. When sending only the EAD it goes to the local office. If I do both it goes to Chicago.

Her mom has an appointment at the end of the month for EAD (No appointments available for AOS, "call later") and I was hoping to get both interviewed at one visit. (fat chance, huh?)

I guess I'll know one way or the other if I did it right in a few weeks.

Personally, I am not in any hurry to get a driver's license for the wife or the daughter. They are, and that's why I'm going for the EAD. I just can't see my 4'10" wife behind the wheel of a car (she can't even ride a bike!!! :P )

I do understand their need to be mobile. I just wish this area had a better masstransit system.