P3 Question - CR1 in China

Hi All,

My name is Dan and I married my wife about a month and a half ago. We went to Beijing on the 30th of November, received the P2 on December 20th and received P3 today, which is the 30th of December. Let's just say we were surprised to receive it so quickly. We weren't ready! I have to get my parents support because I live in Wuhan China and that don't pay their teacher anything. ($350 a month). We won't be able to get all of this prepared until next week at earliest because my parents must send me their notazed completed I-864 and my tax returns.

Now you see, I need to get my I-864 notarized. I know I can do this at any American embassy. Thus, I am wondering if I can:

1. Give the embassy the packet in person and save myself the trouble of mailing it and worry that it was lost. Plus, get my forms notarized, thus killing two birds with one stone.

2. Can I go to any Chinese public notary and use them. My wife will be using the Chinese notary, so I am not sure why I can't.

3. Go to Shanghai (because Shanghai is much nicer and I really don't want to go Guangzhou), get my forms notarized and ask the embassy to send it to Guangzhou in their outgoing mail.

Nice to meet you all. I really pray that your processes work out. I do not know how some of you feel. I spent the summer in America and I missed my then girlfriend, no wife terribly.

Jia You! (I forgot the tone) :D

Dan from Portland, Oregon

Is it me or are there many people from Oregon on this board? :D

You must have whiplash from the packages hiting you so quickly. If the embassy in Shanghai has an ASC, then go for it. They'll notarize it. I had mine Notarized at the ASC in Peking already. The Shanghai embassy is much nicer than the one in Peking. It feels more like an outlet store than an embassy. :D One stop shopping.

Look at it this way...the $350 you just made with 4 weeks of work, just paid for your visa bill. easy come easy go.

Hi Dan - I am doing DCF too. It's great.

I don't see the point to go to Shanghai, if you can get it notarized in Wuhan, unless you want a holiday anyway ... The i_184 is not that important right now anyway. As I understand, you just take it to the interview (and maybe even can get notarized there but I'm not sure).

Sending the package is no big deal - I sent it regular mail, no prob, but EMS would also work.

Hey Dan,

i am also working on the same thing you are. with package 3 getting the I-864 form filled out. one thing i wanted to ask you or anyone else reading this post is what to do about a domicile. i was reading that you have to have a domicile set up in america before filing 864. i also work in china and i dont have an apartmen or anything sent up back home. so i was wondering if you or anyone else knows. can you just put down a friend or relatives home as where you will live or do you have to set a home registered in my name. from what i read it sounded like i have to have it in my name. if anyone has any info i would be very greatful. thanks for your time and help.

Hi Slenish,

I was reading around about how many people are regarded in a particularly household size.

Here is a good link I suggest you read. I am using my parents as the domicile and I can't support her anyway. So, I w ill be using a joint-sponsor, because the school here in Wuhan don't pay very much.

http://infodomain.com/general.htm

Read this it should answer many of the questions you have about the I-864. I know it helped me.

Dan

darianstarfire,

hey thanks for the help with my question. i was reading more info on the web site you gave me. from what i read it sounds like you can not use your families home as your domicile and i have heard that you have to have a job set up back in states. so i dont know if you know do you have to have a job and a domicile or one of the two. if you have to have both that sucks. because i have to find a way to set up a job back home. also with the domicle do you know how long you have to have one set up for? im sure the longer the better. but if i just set one up now for a couple of months while im filing the 864 do you think that would be good enough just to show them that i have a home there? also from what i read if you dont have a domicile set up and you are working outside you can not have a joint sponser to support you. plus i read that if you are working abroad like teaching or others and can show that it was only temporary and that you still have a home set up back in the usa that the two can work together some how. i dont know its alot of crap to do just for a visa!!

Slenish - I don't know of any such restrictions on having a joint sponsor. Part of the point is for people working outside with no home or job or assets in the US. So, if you can't meet the requirements, get someone in the US who can. I've been in Beijing over 3 years and don't anticipate any problems with my parents co-sponsoring.

Slenish,

I agree with Jenny. She is correct in pointing out that their is not that restriction on a person in America who is willing to Sponsor your SO (significant other). The restriction you are fretting about has to do with the fact that you cannot sponsor her, though you still need to fill out the I-864 and submit your own financial information alongside the joint-sponsor. If you are like me, then you will have to have a joint-sponsor because even if you go back to the United States, you ought find someone to be a air-tight case. In my situation I am considering going back to America, but this only helps show that I will be planning to go back to America, but it doesn't really help the I-864, unless I find a dang good job. Who knows, but focus your thoughts on that joint-sponsor and work from there. You could go home and try to sponsor her yourself, this is possible, but would be full of great potentials for present rejection (though would setup future acceptence for visa)

Read my next post. I am in the same boat as you.

Dan

jenny, dan

thanks a lot for your thoughts and advice. i have been reading threw many things to try to find answers to my questions. i have a little bit of a better understand now of what to do for the 864 form. thank you very much for your help. with little bits of info here and there i have put together enough i think i know what to do. thanks again!