Direct Consular Filing

Ok my name is Ross Yarlott, im married and living in Xi'an, and I am about to get my residence permit, again, in a couple of days. I was wondering what is required to do a direct consular filing. I know that i am supposed to do it in the city that is in my district (beijing), but i was wondering what the proper procedure was.

Thanks

Ross

Here I am - Welcome Ross. Actually the US Embassy Beijing site doesn't say much about immigration, just marriage ("and then your spouse can immigrate if you want" is as helpful as they are). When I was trying to find out how to get started, I got the complete run around (called visa hotline who said call USCIS whose message said call Guangzhou, who said call the visa hotline, and so on). Citizens services also just sent me to USCIS with any questions, never mind you can't get a real person on the phone there.

Anyway, I'll tell you whatever I know - and here's the basic info for the USCIS Beijing office:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/shared/fieldoffi...ing/aboutus.htm

I think you have to do this in person, and Beijing is prob the nearest office to you (consulates also take it and forward to BJ). So you should make an appt. by phone or maybe fax (sometimes will be a week or more later, but hard to know in advance, though you can tell them if the time is inconvenient). Whether you get a live appt. maker or not is hard to say - if not leave a clear message on the generic VM and hopefully someone will call you back ... they'll not likely answer many other questions, so if you are in Xi'an and only able to go once, plan carefully and ask me any questions you have before.

Gather the required docs -

notarized translation of marriage certificate

completed I-130, and G-325A bio sheets

one passport pic of each

your proof of citizenship (passport copy is fine).

Your residence card (bring copies as well as origininals of these ID's)

I also gave cert of US citizen birth abroad since I wasn't born in the US and my husband's passport, ID, and hukou (though none of that is actually required).

I think that's it... trying to think if I forgot anything. You just bring all that in for your appointment (can go by yourself or wife can go with you). Doesn't take very long, but then you have to go to the Embassy US Citizens' Services to pay (a 10 or 15 min walk down the road) and back with the receipt. Then it's done.

Then you wait, and for me, you can see from the timeline it was approved very quickly. After that it's all in the hands of Guangzhou, who also got back to us pretty quickly with the instructions.

Maybe too much info there!.... but anything unclear or other questions you have, happy to help!

Good luck!

Jenny

Thanks so much jenny, ya i was getting the run around also. Look at the website is less than helpful. OK, thanks a ton again, ill messgae again if i have anymore questions.

Ross

Hey, could i get your beijing number by chance? You could send it some other way if you dont wanta post it here, since we are in the same time zone it should be easy to ask, if not it doesnt matter at all.

Ross