DCF

Guest Gene

A friend of my wife was recently married and they went to the embassy in Guangzhou. He is a teacher in California and visiting China for a few months. Anyway he left the embassy with the impression that they can do a DCF for the I-130 and then file a I129f at MSC. Have I missed something here? Is this possible? huh.gif

As I understand it he can only do a DCF if he has a residency permit to live and work in China. Otherwise he is just a tourist like all the rest of us and must file through a stateside service center.

I am sure if it were possible, Mark (hypoclear) would have done it. He's been living in China for about 2 years but only has a tourist visa. You may ask him about it. Actually several of our members have lived in China. Mick, Dean, Orrin to name a few. I am fairly sure they all maried in China and had to file stateside.

that's right Carl;

The DCF or direct consular filing is only for residents of china. The famous green book.

If you are employed here by a native company at least and this I don't know for sure, perhaps a foreign company you will be given a work permit and the residency book.

I was almost hired by a company here, but by that time was well into the I -130 for a CR-1 Conditional Residence visa for my wife. If we had waited two years after marriage we would be R-1?? or some other number which means her residency in the states was full and her next step would be to apply for citizenship.

As it stands now she will have the conditional status for two years from the date she enters the country. She will have her green card and social security card, mailed to her with in a few (?) weeks and I believe her passport and visa will be stamped so that she could start work before receiving the green card. She can also leave the country for up to less than 1 year and still maintain her status. No need for parole filing etc.

90 days before her second anniversary she will need to file one form for her permanent residency and thru out this time she only needs to file a form if her address changes.

I am very sure all I have written is correct but if not I know the other members will correct me... great thing about this board..:) you WILL get the straight dope..

Mark and Bea

best of luck and a speedy process..

Thanks Mark, I just talked to my wife and she told me her friend and new husband on are there way to Guangzhou to turn in there I-130 and supporting documents( no green book). They could not get a seat quick enough on a plane so they opted for the 12 hour train ride. I talked with him on the phone day before yesterday and said I thouhgt he had to be a resident, but he was rather adament that someone at the embassy said it would be quicker to file through them :) It will be interesting to hear the story.

Thanks Mark, I just talked to my wife and she told me her friend and new husband on are there way to Guangzhou to turn in there I-130 and supporting documents( no green book). They could not get a seat quick enough on a plane so they opted for the 12 hour train ride. I talked with him on the phone day before yesterday and said I thouhgt he had to be a resident, but he was rather adament that someone at the embassy said it would be quicker to file through them ;)  It will be interesting to hear the story.

Yeah it will be interesting and hey!! if he can do it more power to him.

At this stage I have no problem with anyone doing anything to get their visa. It's no longer about fair who's in line first, but getting it... yup the good old break down of the social order..yeah!

Mark and Bea

Personally I do hope for their sake they can do this as if it is incorerect info I feel very sad and sorry to see them screwed over like that..:)

I think it would be great if they can do it, and sad if it all turns out to be a waste of time. He was also told to then file a I-129f through MSC, which isn't going to make anything quicker, there so back logged it is sick. I guess the saddest part is the miss-information handed out by the DOS whether it is to him or to everyone else. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again Mark.

If it were possible people would be stampeding to China to marry and file DCF. I do recall that at one time some of the consulates would do it. I vaguely remember something about guys meeting thier fiancee''s in Malaysia orThailand and getting married there and filing DCF. I am fairly sure they slammed the door shut on that one too.

I just talked to the wife again and her freinds that rushed to Guangzhou were told that they can not file at the embassy, that he would have to file back in the states.......such a waste of time with mis-information from our government :D

If it were possible people would be stampeding to China to marry and file DCF.  I do recall that at one time some of the consulates would do it.  I vaguely remember something about guys meeting thier fiancee''s in Malaysia orThailand and getting married there and filing DCF.  I am fairly sure they slammed the door shut on that one too.

Interesting Carl, In March of 2003 my lawyer suggested thailand. he said we could then get the visa in 6 months.. but then again my lawyer said many things that were wrong.

If it were possible people would be stampeding to China to marry and file DCF.  I do recall that at one time some of the consulates would do it.  I vaguely remember something about guys meeting thier fiancee''s in Malaysia orThailand and getting married there and filing DCF.  I am fairly sure they slammed the door shut on that one too.

Interesting Carl, In March of 2003 my lawyer suggested thailand. he said we could then get the visa in 6 months.. but then again my lawyer said many things that were wrong.

I explored the Malaysia DCF route - many websites said that the USC did not need to be a resident of the country to file DCF and Jingwen could get a tourist visa to visit the country. Unfortunately, when I attempted to get confirmation from the embassy, I was informed that I had to be a resident fo the country to file DCF.