Tax return

I read the articles on Form W-7 but I hope someone can clarify this so I can feel better. My wife, Neely and I, are married but she does not yet have her SS #. I have done my return and file married filing jointly but I cannot efile because I can't provide the number.

As I read it, I have the impression that I can send the W-7 attached to the return and they will process it. Is this correct?

Your wife needs an ITIN number until she has a SSN.

SEE: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

I think it is saying I can send this request attached to the tax return and they will process it. And I should not have to file and extension.

That's exactly what the IRS told me. On the tax form, in the place for her SSAN you put "TIN requested". Then you make sure you attach the TIN form.

Your wife needs an ITIN number until she has a SSN.

SEE: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

I think it is saying I can send this request attached to the tax return and they will process it. And I should not have to file and extension.

Mail the completed W-7 form along with your IRS 1040 to the appropriate address.

You will either need a notarized copy of your wife's Chinese passport biographic page to accompany the W-7 or mail the passport in to the IRS. They will send it back.

It's all in the W-7 instructions unless it's changed.

If you have a local IRS Office near where you live, you can take the W7 request and supporting documents (passport...notorized will surfice, I included a copy of our translated marriage certificate) and you can get the ITIN right then and there, then send your tax form to the normal address or e-file.

Otherwise, you must send all of this together to an address.....I think is in PENN.

PapaBear :)

I read the articles on Form W-7 but I hope someone can clarify this so I can feel better. My wife, Neely and I, are married but she does not yet have her SS #. I have done my return and file married filing jointly but I cannot efile because I can't provide the number.

As I read it, I have the impression that I can send the W-7 attached to the return and they will process it. Is this correct?

Hi Bill,

You are correct, also if you are sending in your State Taxes at the same time, write in the word "Applied" in the blank for her SSN on the State forms. We went to H&R Block and I had to show the guy there what a W-7 was (he had never heard of it) and he asked us to come back in 2 days during which time he took a 'mini course' in how to fill out the W-7... their computer system processes the W-7, and then when it gets to the State Returns it auto-fills in the word "Applied" for her SSN, so I am almost positive you would want to do this as well. Good luck!

Steve

Thanks Guys.

Neely got her Work Card yesterday and she applied for the SS# today. She is supposed to have it in two weeks. From what I have learned through all my troubles with the government, I feel like I will have less headaches by waiting to get the number. It has been a nightmare so far.