Social Security unable to verify status with USCIS

Today we took the newly arrived EAD card and Lao Po's SSAN card issued in her maiden name to our local Social Security office to change the name on the SSAN card to her married name. We filled out the form and went to the window presenting the EAD and the current SSAN. We were asked for our marriage certificate, which we had, and the clerk disappeared into the screened off portion of her office for several minutes.

She came back and said that she was unable to verify Lao Po's immigration status on the computer and had to submit a form manually to USCIS. She issued a form letter to that effect, said that the card under the maiden name was still valid, and told us to check back in 30 days if we don't receive a new card.

Given the position we are in the AOS process I guess I find this all a bit strange.

Any thoughts or comments?

We had that problem as well. It is the Social Security computer system. Then months later when it still did not come, back we went. They again said it was not approved on the computer. I contacted a local Congressman to check into the matter and the card came shortly thereafter.

The request was blocked by DHS because the 90 days

had been exceeded on her entry card. She turned the

monitor to show me.

Hmm ... that's interesting, we have a new I-94 registered last week as we reentered the US using Advance Parole. I assume your 90 day issue was after a K1 entry.

Yes; K1.

Rather than go through the frustration and press the issue we

elected to wait until the AOS is complete. We do have a print out

of her SSN and she has her EAD. Taxes were not a problem as I filed

jointly.

We also had a simular issue with the Ca DMV as they would not

issue her an ID because she had less than 30 days left on the I-94.

That was something not mentioned on the requirements.

She has her "COSTCO ID" so she is happy. :signthankspin:

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday we got a notice in the mail from the SS folks addressed to Lao Po in her married name. It came from the local SS office and stated that she should have her SSAN card within two weeks.

So it looks like it took USCIS about two weeks to respond to the paper query from the SS people when Lao Po's status would not verify in the USCIS computer.

As soon as we receive the replacement card in her married name we will switch names on bank accounts and start the driver's license process. I hope, with a SSAN card and a matching EAD card, it will be sufficient to convince the California DMV that she is legal and can get a license.

We shall see ... :roller: