Luggage question

I am sorry if this question has been answered before. I am wondering when your SO moved from China, how many pieces of luggage can she bring with her with the flight without the penalty for excessive weight? If there was a child accompanying her, would the airline company allow the child have some luggage? Did she use other means to transport her belongs from China (i.e. ocean freight)? How long would that take and approximate costs? I searched through David's FAQ and did not find any answers there. If anybody could provide me with the names of Chinese shipping companies, that would be great.

Or does your SO want to buy all her clothers in the U.S. instead of wearing the clothes brought from China? :blink:

Thank you.

My wife shipped all her belongings by ocean freight except what allowable amount she brought with her on the plane.

The cost wasn't bad at all what I remember. She handled it all on her end and I handled it all on this end.

There were some procedures and processes to go through.

Her things left Qingdao headed for Norfolk, VA via L.A. and N.Y. It took about 6 weeks. I posted a CFL thread about some of the things about it. There is more info./experiences around here about "shipping from China" also.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7675&hl=

Most international flights out of China, CHECK YOUR AIRLINE, allow 2 bags at 70 pounds each without penalty, this usually applies to each ticketed passenger. Some of the airlines will have a fee for a 3 bag that is around $70.

The rub comes in if she is not ticketed through to her final destination. In our case we arrived in LA and the next day took a domestic flight where most have a 50 pound limit. The penalty wasn't real bad until we discovered one bag exceeded 70# and that cost $100 extra.

Another option if you are flying US domestic and will stop over at the POE for the night is to make arrangements to send the bags air or ground freight from the hotel to your home.

I'd suggest trying to get her to go on a spending spree in China for clothes. The price difference alone makes it worth the additional bag charge. If you don't suggest this you can expect to hear "why didn't you tell me things were so EXPENSIVE, I could have bought them cheaper in China", for weeks on end. :blink:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
Most international flights out of China, CHECK YOUR AIRLINE, allow 2 bags at 70 pounds each without penalty, this usually applies to each ticketed passenger. Some of the airlines will have a fee for a 3 bag that is around $70.

The rub comes in if she is not ticketed through to her final destination. In our case we arrived in LA and the next day took a domestic flight where most have a 50 pound limit. The penalty wasn't real bad until we discovered one bag exceeded 70# and that cost $100 extra.

Another option if you are flying  US domestic and will stop over at the POE for the night is to make arrangements to send the bags air or ground freight from the hotel to your home.

I'd suggest trying to get her to go on a spending spree in China for clothes. The price difference alone makes it worth the additional bag charge. If you don't suggest this you can expect to hear "why didn't you tell me things were so EXPENSIVE, I could have bought them cheaper in China", for weeks on end.  :blink:

192003[/snapback]

I'm going back to Nanning pretty much empty handed in a few weeks. I'll bring back two big suitcases of winter clothes for my wife and step-daughter, just to get a head start on this.

I was Checking the China Southern website and the weight translated to 50#. Perhaps that's for domestic. Of course, my first flight will be domestic, from Nanning to GUZ.

Baggage weight was reduced to 50 pounds per bag last September for international flights. Now there's not much need for the big 29" pullman bags that would hold 70+ pounds, unless you're only carrying cheetos!

My wife shipped 2 large double boxes of clothes by China Post that weighted about 70 pounds each for $80 each. It took 6 - 8 weeks to receive the boxes. The boxes were tattered but everything was received in good condition.

Another option if you are flying  US domestic and will stop over at the POE for the night is to make arrangements to send the bags air or ground freight from the hotel to your home.

I'd suggest trying to get her to go on a spending spree in China for clothes. The price difference alone makes it worth the additional bag charge. If you don't suggest this you can expect to hear "why didn't you tell me things were so EXPENSIVE, I could have bought them cheaper in China", for weeks on end.  :mobrun:

192003[/snapback]

I'm going back to Nanning pretty much empty handed in a few weeks. I'll bring back two big suitcases of winter clothes for my wife and step-daughter, just to get a head start on this.

I was Checking the China Southern website and the weight translated to 50#. Perhaps that's for domestic. Of course, my first flight will be domestic, from Nanning to GUZ.

192009[/snapback]

You might make a call to Delta to check on the luggage restrictions there should be a Delta flight number for your international flight. I saw the same weight limit, but that is for Domestic. Unless they have changed something drastically it should still be 70 pounds.

Now if you are ticketed for a flight from Nanning to the US the international weight limit will apply to all connecting flights on the same ticket.

As John stated, the 70 lb per bag on international flights became history back in September. The limits and other rules are available on carriers websites.  Here is Delta's international rules, see page 67

Delta rules intl

192060[/snapback]

Strange, we carried 280 pounds between the 2 of us in October. She might want to check with the ticket agents in China to see what they say the rules are.

Air China and US Carriers Reduce Baggage Allowance

Air China, American Airlines, United Airlines, Northwest Airlines and Continetal Airlines reduced the free weight allowance for transpacific checked baggage for customers in Coach Class. The free weight allowance for checked baggage will be 50 pounds (23 kilograms) per piece, a total of 2 pieces are allowed. This change has been partially caused by the high fuel cost, according to the airlines.

According to China Eastern and China Southern Airlines, their free transpacific weight limit will still be 70 pounds for the time being. However, some code-share flights operated by US carriers are subject to 50 lbs per bag limits.

Air China .... The free weight allowance for checked baggage will be 50 pounds (23 kilograms) per piece, a total of 2 pieces are allowed.

192228[/snapback]

This was our experience coming here... and we had two bags over that limit and was shuffling stuff into another bag for carry on purposes.. you can buy these bags at the airport !

My SO didn't want to spend a cent on clothes in the US, so brought everything... we did go on a shopping spree in GUZ prior to leaving.

here's one link which is in the interview FAQ:

Shipping Goods from China, ....explain your experience and thots

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12212

Sorry, David. I did look carefully in the FAQ section. There is indeed a link in the Interview FAQ section about shipping goods from China, which I find to be very useful.

I also went to DHL website. They do not ship goods originating from China via ocean freight.

As an elite member of Continental, I am allowed to have up to 70 pounds per piece of checked luggage. My son also has a ticket, and Continental said he also has two checked baggage allowances.

I will take advantage of the free luggage allowance. On the other hand, I think it might be cheaper to buy goods here than shipping them from China via China Post.

Thank you all!!