Shipping Goods from China

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Okay,

Shipping things from China will sooner or later be something that most all of us will be doing and many already have personal experience.

I've searched Candle for some specific information on this topic and as you would expect the results were mixed. I read of many that had bad experiences with damage, and also there was quite a wide range of suggestions on price. Unfortunately the posts were hard to read and only a couple had specific information where one could do an intelligent comparison one to another.

I would enjoy hearing from ANYONE that has first hand experience with shipping large boxes (e.g., square meter or larger). If you would also indicate the company name, website if any, the cost, any special paperwork required, etc.

Perhaps this will be something that we can later provide to our members in the FAQ.

Thanks....

:hug:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
My SO shipped over two large boxes via China post. One made it, the other never did

147441[/snapback]

Didn't make it??? Whoah?

Did you have insurance?

How much did you pay for shipping these two boxes?

How much did they weigh?

What is China Post? Do you have a link to a website?

Were you ever compensated for the loss?

There are a lot of variables in shipping goods from China. Each person is likely to have a very different experience. We shipped quite a bit of furniture and other things in January, about 7.5 cubic meters worth. The trip from Qingdao to Seattle took about a month. I posted details a while back, I think the cost was something like $100/cm. My wife handled the costs so I don't have the exact number. We also shipped our wedding photos from Hong Kong to Seattle. That took about half the time at a considerably lower rate (I think it was something like $25-30 for 1 cm, which is the minimum unit size). My customs broker charged $125 to clear the goods. For the big shipment, we ended up not needing the broker to clear customs-- within the first year of immigration, you can ship "personal goods" here free from duty. But the broker helped out in a variety of ways, from generating all the forms needed, to hooking us up with a shipping company. Getting the goods out of China was a major hassle, though. My wife had to go to the customs house, and needed all sorts of documentation, including some that we ultimately had to fake, because we couldn't figure out what they were asking for. This caused her a lot of stress, as I remember clearly!

Anyway, I'd say the big shipment probably cost us about $1000, once you include all the fees, the U-haul to take it home, etc. I have no doubt, however, that we came out ahead when you look at the furniture she brought and the price she paid for it all in China. The condition it comes in really depends on you, since you are the one packing it. My wife hired some people to do it, and it got here pretty much in good shape (a minor scratch here or there).

Guest ShaQuaNew
There are a lot of variables in shipping goods from China.  Each person is likely to have a very different experience.

----We shipped quite a bit of furniture and other things in January, about 7.5 cubic meters worth.

----I think the cost was something like $100/cm.

----For the big shipment, we ended up not needing the broker to clear customs-- within the first year of immigration, you can ship "personal goods" here free from duty.  But the broker helped out in a variety of ways, from generating all the forms needed, to hooking us up with a shipping company.

----Getting the goods out of China was a major hassle, though. needed all sorts of documentation, including some that we ultimately had to fake, because we couldn't figure out what they were asking for.

----the big shipment probably cost us about $1000, once you include all the fees, the U-haul to take it home, etc. 

----The condition it comes in really depends on you, since you are the one packing it.  My wife hired some people to do it, and it got here pretty much in good shape (a minor scratch here or there).

147454[/snapback]

Thank you. Your post was one of the few I found in the archives. Please feel free to respond again if you are able to get any more information as to which company you used, customs agent, etc. :bangin:

Because there appear to be a wide range of prices charged and questionable results, I think this topic deserves a good deal of detailed attention....

Anyway, I'd say the big shipment probably cost us about $1000, once you include all the fees, the U-haul to take it home, etc. I have no doubt, however, that we came out ahead when you look at the furniture she brought and the price she paid for it all in China. The condition it comes in really depends on you, since you are the one packing it.  My wife hired some people to do it, and it got here pretty much in good shape (a minor scratch here or there).

147454[/snapback]

Wow, sounds like a bargain. We got a quote for $3000 to NYC and then another grand to get to Buffalo. I guess it depends which coast you are on and how close to the port you live

Perhaps this will be something that we can later provide to our members in the FAQ.

147384[/snapback]

ok.. i added an FAQ to the very end of the Interview FAQ, since that section also concerns travel issues... and this represents one in a sense.

I'm only adding comments from this post for now since I don't have time to do a full research.. but since you sound to have done so, you can post other useful links here if warranted.. I did grab the link you provided.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

147384[/snapback]

ok.. i added an FAQ to the very end of the Interview FAQ, since that section also concerns travel issues... and this represents one in a sense.

I'm only adding comments from this post for now since I don't have time to do a full research.. but since you sound to have done so, you can post other useful links here if warranted.. I did grab the link you provided.

147477[/snapback]

Nothing much to add to an FAQ from this thread, at least for now. Surely, there are many members that have personal experience with shipping things to the US from China.

Please feel free to add to this thread.....

Guest ShaQuaNew
What is China Post?

147443[/snapback]

China Post is the post office. They do normal letters, packages of various sizes, and a priority service that takes FedEx type envelopes to the US in about a week.

147498[/snapback]

Thanks Jim,

I assumed that is what Buffalo Paul meant too, but asked just the same. A carry over from my work life to verify and validate especially where a wide variety of nomenclatures are used to desribe the same services and events.

China Post is actually a newspaper...

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/

Because there are several services in China I think it important to be clear as to which ones we all refer...

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/post_telecom.htm

http://chinapost.gov.cn/english/

Okay,

Shipping things from China will sooner or later be something that most all of us will be doing and many already have personal experience.

I've searched Candle for some specific information on this topic and as you would expect the results were mixed. I read of many that had bad experiences with damage, and also there was quite a wide range of suggestions on price. Unfortunately the posts were hard to read and only a couple had specific information where one could do an intelligent comparison one to another.

I would enjoy hearing from ANYONE that has first hand experience with shipping large boxes (e.g., square meter or larger). If you would also indicate the company name, website if any, the cost, any special paperwork required, etc.

Thanks....

:bangin:

147384[/snapback]

fitnlively,

My better half took this hyperlink that I sent to her. I believe that I located in and posted it once on Visa Journey. Several people I have know in LA Chinatown have used them before, and they had nothing but good things to say. A bit expensive though. Unfortunately, you are basically stuck moving goods from China to US. Mayflower and United Moving company is not an option.

Try this hyperlink, http://www.santaferelo.com/ecs/index.jsp. I talked with Yin, and she called them once. They have sites located all over China (including one in her home city of Chengdu), provide free etimates, advice on the move, etc. Your better half could probably call them and have a very good idea of the approximate cost.

Also, in Link and Resources CFL , look at a past member Owen Krout. It's on the last page, when Candle for Love was a glimmer in PJ's eye. Might try a member search for O. Krout there may be other tidbits, I don't know about.

I'm sorry, that I can't give you better information. I have either used household shipping 5 times when I was in the military in Asia, and as an ex-pat in Cambodia, I used an entirely diffrent shipper than you will seek. I can advise of you of three things:

1) Stand by the packers when they pack, wrap and seal all containers. Insure that they "aren't asleep at the wheel." Otherwise, I can guarntee, breakage, scatches, etc. Remember this, packers would never steal from a person moving 10,000 miles away would they? Nahhhhhhhhh!

2) Most shipping is via seaport. Use U-haul to finish the move from the ship's port of entry.

3) Reduce weight, reduce weight, reduce weight and reduce weight some more.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Try this hyperlink, http://www.santaferelo.com/ecs/index.jsp.  I talked with Yin, and she called them once.  They have sites located all over China (including one in her home city of Chengdu), provide free etimates, advice on the move, etc. Your better half could probably call them and have a very good idea of the approximate cost.

147579[/snapback]

Thanks for the input.....

Lan called this company today from Shenzhen, but they told her they only ship commerical not residential.

We will not have a lot of things to ship, like an entire household with furniture, but certainly will be shipping things like books and whatever will be hard to replace here in the US.

She puts it as spending "stupid money." There is no need to ship what will be cheaper to replace over here. Certainly being able to make that assessment requires knowing how much one will pay. For now, she's going to try DHL to send a small amount of clothing.

I'm not sure why this thread is not getting more response. Is it perhaps that those that already have their SOs here in the US are no longer on line?

Edited by fitnlivly (see edit history)
Try this hyperlink, http://www.santaferelo.com/ecs/index.jsp.  I talked with Yin, and she called them once.  They have sites located all over China (including one in her home city of Chengdu), provide free etimates, advice on the move, etc.   Your better half could probably call them and have a very good idea of the approximate cost.  

147579[/snapback]

Thanks for the input.....

Lan called this company today from Shenzhen, but they told her they only ship commerical not residential.

We will not have a lot of things to ship, like an entire household with furniture, but certainly will be shipping things like books and whatever will be hard to replace here in the US.

She puts it as spending "stupid money." There is no need to ship what will be cheaper to replace over here. Certainly being able to make that assessment requires knowing how much one will pay. For now, she's going to try DHL to send a small amount of clothing.

I'm not sure why this thread is not getting more response. Is it perhaps that those that already have their SOs here in the US are no longer on line?

148032[/snapback]

fitnlively,

I know that for sure that the movers I recommended will ship resdential. Yin already talked to the office in Chengdu. Needless to say, Shenzen is a lot larger than Chengdu.

You are your wife is correct in the aspect of "stupid money." Yin and I have talked about this identical issue, that you bring to this forum. To help her acclimitization to US the US, we are leaving behind furniture. Same with kitchen utensils, etc. However, some concessions were made. The one concession that I made with her in regard to kitchen items was three things.

1) Her Chinese style cleaver, (God! I hope I don't PO her off. Imagine me sending the instrument of my own destruction to the US. LOL) Her Chinese wok. Finally, her hogo pot. Take this from a Sichuan Provincial woman and you will have a fight on your hands.

2) Chinese books, CDs, DVDs, tapes, papers, sentimental items (e.g. Photographs, diaries, etc, etc.) These are especially important. Most especially boooks CD and/or DVD)

3) All of her clothes. Yin has an affinity to wearing quipaos which are custom made of silk. Shoes are another item. All clothing would be hard to replace in the US. Most Oriential women who arrive in the us are figuratively speaking "screwed." Their body frames and/or shoes sizes are too small for the American women's section of clothing and too big and/or limited choices in the teen women's clothing section. Unless, your wife wants to resemble J Lo, or Brittany! While we are on the subject of women's clothing, please forgive me for being forward. I don't know your wife's stature and will not ask. I suggest that you get a surplus of brassires and panties. The smaller Oriential women have a hard time finding certain items, unless they are near a large Chinese community (eg LA, SF, Vancouver, Canada.)

Suggestions that I can make:

1) Buy all Oriential painting in China, ship to US and have frames made here. Perferably with UV protective glass. All paintings in US in Chinese communities have been "jacked up" to approximately 850% over what we pay in China.

2) Books are hard to come buy. You are either left with two options. Go to a "Chinatown" buy them there (Usually out of stock or have to be ordered at a premium price.) Yin is a former teacher who works for the government. Her family is highly educated. She wants her books! This will be the most expensive item for you to ship. However, IMHO well worth the cost. Also, it will help your wife acclimatize to the US.

3) DVDs and CDs, same as item 2 above.

4. Regard to furniture. I know the west coast very well. My information is sketchy at best, in regards to the East Coast. Midwest, there is a scaricity of all furniture and/or significant Oriential items. Yin prefers antique furniture from China. This is a very real possiblity. Chinese communties in LA, Diamond Bar, CA, Malpitas,CA, SF, Seattle, and Vancouver, BC have an abundance of both modern and antique Chinese furniture. They will bargin if you bring the cold hard cash and place it on the "barrelhead." Albeit, the items are fairly expensive and will take a bit of a selection process. However, very readily obtainable to you. I have done this before and made my choices. I then had the store load the items on a Ryder truck that I had rented for a one-way trip and returned to my home. I should mention that bookstores were the "same song and dance" as furniture. Cold hard cash, hard bargining, etc, etc.

In regard to DHL. It is very expensive to ship items. I would suggest that you try to return to China, with the only clothing that you have in an overnight bag. Then buy two cheap suitcases there in China and pack your wife's items in it. Several benefits to this method. You and her are together again. You save money. Even if you do have to pay excess baggage money to the airline, it will still be cheaper than DHL in the long run.

I should also mention money. Have you wife buy 24 karat gold with Chinese RMB. China is now seeking investors and the Bank of China now sells ignots of gold. One of Yin's friends is a bank manager there. She took both of us in and showed us how we could purchase $10,000 gold ignots. Gee, if only pigs had wings they could fly!!! $10,000. Who has $10,000 to toss around? However, there are smaller "denominations" available. Bring gold into US and then resell to jewelry stores in Oriential communties (e.g Koreatown, LA, Chinatown LAS or SF, VN communties.

My final piece of advice. Reduce, reduce and reduce even more. However, remember there are certain items that your wife will regard as very highly treasured sentiments. Don't argue! Just bite the bullet and make adjustments in your packing. After that take out the checkbook. Remember the signature on the check never hurts. The bank statement at the end of the month is when you get hurt. Look on the bright side. If the check is written early in the month, then you might have 3 weeks to enjoy yourself, before that statement arrives!

If you need other personalized information PM me and I'll respond best as I can.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for the input Cerebus.....

I'm seeing that I must keep things simple now and not overwhelm her with new ways of doing things. I think when the time gets closer that she will ultimately make the decision on what she wants to bring with her to the US. I had my own ideas, but quickly learned that she holds the trump card on this one.

I know for now that she will be comfortable at shipping a little bit at a time. DHL, China Post, etc., will probably work for her on that...