American Citizen Hour

Beermann

I've read posts in the FAQ's that the ACH is Friday at two different times, morning and afternoon. However, the GUZ website states that it's on Mondays. I'm in Guangzhou right now awaiting our interview Monday and really want to go to this tomorrow and sign in. Could someone please provide some updated information concerning this that could be useful to to everyone. Thank you!

Hi, I was just at the GUZ today (2-10-06) for the "American Citizens Hour" which is supposed to be at 3:00 pm on Fridays according to the GUZ's website. I arrived there at 2:40 pm and was told it had started at 2:30 and I would not be allowed in. :(

I was then given an information sheet. Under the heading: "Immigrant Visa Petitioner Hour" the sheet states: "U.S. Citizen Petitioners who would like to speak to an Immigrant Visa officer may attend an Information Session on Fridays at 2:30 p.m. The aim of these sessions is to address frequently asked questions and provide you with a better understanding of the process."

Then, on the other side of the paper under the heading "Nonimmigrant Visas" the sheet states: "American Citizen Hour The Consulate hosts an "American citizen hour" Mondays from 3 to 4 pm in the NIV waiting room. In addition, American citizens will not be permitted to accompany NIV applicants to their interview and would instead be encouraged to attend the Monday afternoon American citizen hour."

I hope this helps. :D

Edited by RivaRich (see edit history)

I went to GUZ Friday to get my I-134 notarized at about 2:30pm and waited at American Citizen Services until about 3:05pm to get my notarized form back. Having been very friendly and making the man laugh while talking with him, I asked him about ACH and he said it was over at 3:00pm. However, he was extremely kind to me and walked over to one of the VO's, asked for a favor and then told me to go to her window to get a number. It was the last number issued for the day and I didn't get out of the Consulate until almost 5:00pm after talking for over 30 minutes to what everyone seems to refer to as the "Black Pearl." I will note here that she is extremely kind and friendly. I really enjoyed talking with her as she answered even minor questions about organizing my paperwork.

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I went to GUZ Friday to get my I-134 notarized at about 2:30pm and waited at American Citizen Services until about 3:05pm to get my notarized form back. Having been very friendly and making the man laugh while talking with him, I asked him about ACH and he said it was over at 3:00pm. However, he was extremely kind to me and walked over to one of the VO's, asked for a favor and then told me to go to her window to get a number. It was the last number issued for the day and I didn't get out of the Consulate until almost 5:00pm after talking for over 30 minutes to what everyone seems to refer to as the "Black Pearl." I will note here that she is extremely kind and friendly. I really enjoyed talking with her as she answered even minor questions about organizing my paperwork.

190291[/snapback]

Would you be kind enough to share what you learned from the answers to your questions?

190291[/snapback]

Would you be kind enough to share what you learned from the answers to your questions?

190301[/snapback]

Basically, we mostly talked about the financial side of our case. I was worried because I don't have a co-sponsor and have been an intern for the last 3 years and only recenly got a job offer, so technically, I don't meet the AOS requirements. The end result of this conversation was that I was encouraged to start preparing for the worst, but if she answered the initial questions well enough and showed conclusive evidence of a bonefide relationship that the VO will likely overlook the financial side of our case. She said that if she was the VO handling my case, she would likely approve it because we have been living together in China since last October. Additionally, I mentioned that we had a photo album and she told me to bring it, but inform my wife to be prepared to remove any pictures she may ask for and slide under the window. Hope this helps!

Guest pushbrk

190291[/snapback]

190301[/snapback]

Basically, we mostly talked about the financial side of our case. I was worried because I don't have a co-sponsor and have been an intern for the last 3 years and only recenly got a job offer, so technically, I don't meet the AOS requirements. The end result of this conversation was that I was encouraged to start preparing for the worst, but if she answered the initial questions well enough and showed conclusive evidence of a bonefide relationship that the VO will likely overlook the financial side of our case. She said that if she was the VO handling my case, she would likely approve it because we have been living together in China since last October. Additionally, I mentioned that we had a photo album and she told me to bring it, but inform my wife to be prepared to remove any pictures she may ask for and slide under the window. Hope this helps!

190310[/snapback]

Thanks. Those may be helpful details to others. Like you, we are seeking all the details to be best prepared. If you have time and can think of more details, please post them. Somebody will benefit from them.

• 1 month later...
I've read posts in the FAQ's that the ACH is Friday at two different times, morning and afternoon. However, the GUZ website states that it's on Mondays. I'm in Guangzhou right now awaiting our interview Monday and really want to go to this tomorrow and sign in. Could someone please provide some updated information concerning this that could be useful to to everyone. Thank you!

189458[/snapback]

ACH is Friday for Immigrant Visas at 230, but be there by 130-145 to get a low number and thus not waste precious SO time sitting and waiting. They shut the door at 200, so don't get there late or you are out of luck. I got there about 140 and I was 15 or so numbers down the list, so I waited about 20 minutes into the hour. Spoke to a guy at the window for about 5 minutes and out the door. I will post the details separately.

Mondays are Non-immigrant visas. Learned that the first time I was there, and before I knew about CFL :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after you've been turned down, an American citizen can go speak to someone about it on either Fridays or Mondays depending on the type of visa you are trying for. My question is: Can the person you speak to on monday (tourist visa) issue a visa if you can convince them you have no intention of immigrating. The VO who interviewed my girlfriend took 11 seconds to shoot us down without even glancing at the supporting evidence. So before take another day off work to plead our case, I'd like to make sure that there is hope. Or is it just for answering questions? Anybody know?

Guest pushbrk
Ok, after you've been turned down, an American citizen can go speak to someone about it on either Fridays or Mondays depending on the type of visa you are trying for.  My question is:  Can the person you speak to on monday (tourist visa) issue a visa if you can convince them you have no intention of immigrating.  The VO who interviewed my girlfriend took 11 seconds to shoot us down without even glancing at the supporting evidence.  So before take another day off work to plead our case, I'd like to make sure that there is hope.  Or is it just for answering questions?  Anybody know?

209343[/snapback]

The Chinese girlfriend of a US Citizen has as much hope of getting a tourist visa as her boyfriend does of getting pregnant.

Perhaps if she had found a tour group BEFORE applying individually, she could have come for a short time. The groups hold the passports while the aliens are in country. Now that she has applied individually, I wouldn't even hope for that. It's rare that a family member gets a visa to visit after the couple is married.

The normal procedure is for you to visit her in China and then apply for a Spouse or Fiance visa.

Jon,

Not meaning to criticize you, but all your posts on CFL to day have been "suggesting" that you and your SO want to go to the USA prior to any substantial commitment. I think its pretty clear that each case will stand on its own merits. But you gonna be hard pressed to convince any Visa Officer that it's a good idea to let a single chinese girl into the USA with no other relatives or business in the USA besides to sightsee with her US Boyfriend.

If you want to bring her to the USA as a fiancee or wife, there are a lot of options available to you, as you imply you are in China. DCF is reasonably fast, in the grand scheme of immigrant visas. Unfortunately your "rights" as a US citizen as it concerns the visa issuing process of significant other, are about zero. Whine, bitch, complain if it makes you feel better, but thats all its going to amount to.

If she wants to go to the "West" to visit, Europe is lovely this time of year :rolleyes:

This is part of the problem. Its perfectly fine to assume that everyone is actually intending to immigrate. But to make that assumption and the then refuse to look at supporting evidence is negligent. I understand that most of the people on this forum are people in America wanting to bring their fiancees over to live there. You have to understand that those circumstances to do not apply to everyone. But seriously, does anyone know the answer to my original question? Can the UCC monday interview issue a visa?