Green Card

This is from http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/M-618.pdf

"...As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

• Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.

• Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.

• Request a visa for your husband or wife and unmarried

children to live in the U.S.

• Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income,

and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.

• Own property in the U.S.

• Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.

• Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.

• Attend public school and college.

• Join certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

• Purchase or own a firearm, as long as there are no state

or local restrictions saying you can’t."

This is from http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/M-618.pdf

"...As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

• Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.

• Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.

• Request a visa for your husband or wife and unmarried

children to live in the U.S.

• Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income,

and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.

• Own property in the U.S.

• Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.

• Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.

• Attend public school and college.

• Join certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

• Purchase or own a firearm, as long as there are no state

or local restrictions saying you can’t."

189002[/snapback]

Thank you Frank.

Always a great source of information.

Ken :D

Travel to other many other countries with visa requirements that match a USC, instead of the rules for a Chinese citizen.

189005[/snapback]

I don't think this is generally true. Although the green card holder can enter and leave the U.S. as he/she pleases as a "U.S. resident", he/she still is a Chinese citizen. Most (if not all ...) other countries will continue to impose the same visa requirements on the Chinese citizen despite the green card.

With that said, of course, the fact that the Chinese citizen has a U.S. green card will probably make visa applications to other countries a simple matter of applying and paying the fee, rather than a more drawn out application process.

A friend of mine had to go to England for a couple of weeks for work. (She's American; her husband is Chinese and has a green card.) Her husband wanted to go with her, but found out he'd have to apply for a visa. I'm not sure how long it would have taken, but they figured it was too much hassle, and decided for just her to go and he stayed behind.

This is something I have been curious about. I know to go to Canada there is no problem for a green card holder but I don't know about other countries. I remember Eric and Yuhui traveled around the world extensively after she came here. Gee where is that Frenchman when we need him?

Travel to other many other countries with visa requirements that match a USC, instead of the rules for a Chinese citizen.

189005[/snapback]

I don't think this is generally true. Although the green card holder can enter and leave the U.S. as he/she pleases as a "U.S. resident", he/she still is a Chinese citizen. Most (if not all ...) other countries will continue to impose the same visa requirements on the Chinese citizen despite the green card.

With that said, of course, the fact that the Chinese citizen has a U.S. green card will probably make visa applications to other countries a simple matter of applying and paying the fee, rather than a more drawn out application process.

A friend of mine had to go to England for a couple of weeks for work. (She's American; her husband is Chinese and has a green card.) Her husband wanted to go with her, but found out he'd have to apply for a visa. I'm not sure how long it would have taken, but they figured it was too much hassle, and decided for just her to go and he stayed behind.

189178[/snapback]

I know for a fact that entry into Mexico and many places in the Carribean the LPR is the exception to a Chinese citizen being required a visa, but then each country has it's own rules.

I know for a fact that entry into Mexico and many places in the Carribean the LPR is the exception to a Chinese citizen being required a visa, but then each country has it's own rules.

189323[/snapback]

Oh yeah, definitely Mexico, Canada, and many in the Carribean I'm sure do as well (popular tourist destinations ...), but anywhere in Europe, or pretty much anywhere else ... visa requirements will not have changed. I have friends that have green cards and work in China (they've gone back after school or whatever) and still needed visas for places like Thailand (although I'm not sure whether Chinese still need even on their own for Thailand now ...)

189005[/snapback]

Lee ... can you provide some backup on this? I travel to many countries with tough visas ... it would be almost impossible if I didn't have a US passport. I think Lao Po will still be judged as a Chinese citizen despite a green card ... I'd love to have you prove me wrong.

189005[/snapback]

Lee ... can you provide some backup on this? I travel to many countries with tough visas ... it would be almost impossible if I didn't have a US passport. I think Lao Po will still be judged as a Chinese citizen despite a green card ... I'd love to have you prove me wrong.

189356[/snapback]

The Green Card is basically a long-term residence card and has nothing to do with your passport. It simply authorizes someone to stay longer than a normal visa and comes with extra priviledges.

Entry into and out of any country is based on your passport. So, for those SO's who are Chinese, they must follow rules of Chinese Citizens.

When I travel, I get my visa through a service called, "Travel Document Systems". They state, they can help United States Citizens and can assist many U.S. Permanent Resisdents of other nationalities with visas for many other countries. Need to travel, I would give them a call. This way one service for both of you. http://www.traveldocs.com/

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

189005[/snapback]

189356[/snapback]

In less than 30 minutes I came up with these, it's just a matter of digging through goverment web sites.

Here is Mexico INM Website, there is a special paragraph for LPR's

You can enter Mexico without a visa showing your passport and the "migration Form for Tourists, Transmigrants, Visiting Businesspersons, or Visiting Consultants", which you can obtain from travel agencies, airlines, or at your point of entry into Mexico.

This option also applies for permanent legal residents in the USA or Canada, regardless of nationality.

Visit Jamaica

US Residents

*0„2  an alien registration card; or

*0„2  a valid re-entry permit

Resident aliens in the US, visiting Jamaica as tourist for periods not exceeding six (6) months, and who possess return or round trip touring tickets showing that their journey began in the USA, Puerto Rico or the American Virgin Islands, and that they are entitled to return there, are not required to hold passports

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES

Alien Registration Card (ARC-GREEN CARD) holders do NOT require a visa even if your country is mentioned in the list below.

Bermuda

EXCEPTIONS

Visa controlled nationals who:

¡¤        have the right to reside in the United States (Permanent Resident), Canada (Permanent Resident) or the United Kingdom (no limit on stay in the United Kingdom); and

¡¤        are in possession of proof of such status and a valid passport;

do not require Bermuda entry visas.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)