Interview Experience at GUZ

Joanne

Because my case is very special, I understand that it may not have any reference value to fellow CFLers. I will be very happy if my writing can help you visualize the interview better and reduce your anxiety a bit. I will later write a separate post about procedures inside of GUZ building, try to cover a few minor points not yet provided by Mark in his comprehensive description.

From my observation at the GUZ that most VOs carry a professional manner. Time spend with applicants various greatly, not from VO to VO, but from case to case. I noticed that the same VO who interviewed me in 2-3 minutes spent about 20 minutes on another case. VOs are usually friendly at the beginning and tend to look more serious towards the end of a long interview.

My story goes as follows:

I was not nervous during my whole time in GZ. Since my English is sufficient for the tasks and my husband is always busy providing for the family, I did most of paper work required for the visa and knew all the facts. I have checked a few times to make sure everything is there except two possible areas of problem:

1. We didn't have many photos to show to the VO. Most photos were shipped to the states already. However, I managed to gather enough stray behinders to compile into a handmade album with a few sheets of heavy paper (used, so has color drawings on them) stitched together. I put the photos in roughly a chronological order, and wrote date, people's name or relationship, and place by the side. So photo is not a problem, besides we have other proof like joint bank account, a daughter, etc. to prove our ten years of marriage.

2. Even though my husband has sufficient income in the previous three years, but in August this year, he quit his job and went back to school. We didn't try to get his parents to cosponsor me. We have worked so hard during the past 14 years to be independent, and we don't want to call for help unless absolutely necessary.

Therefore we know, if I got a blue slip, it would be that I have to call my mother-in-law and ask her to prepare an AOS for me.

Prior to interview, my husband and I discussed this concern briefly. He simply said, the AOS he submitted to NVC meets the requirement. Don't cover up the fact that he is current in school. If a cosponsor is necessary, we will have.

Here is how the interview went:

A tall gentleman was my interviewer. My 4 digit number (assigned earlier in the morning) was called, and I went to window #21, I was happy to know that my secret wish became true. (He was the one who took my finger prints. He was very friendly then to everyone, so I wished to be interviewed by him.) I waited a few feet from the window while he finished up his previous interview.

My interview started with an exchange of friendly smile and greetings. I will try to recall most of the conversation below:

VO: Who has petitioned this visa for you?

Me: My husband (his full name)

VO: How did you meet each other?

Me: We met back in 1991 while I was attending university in the States.

VO: What does you husband do?

Me: (I decided not to mention school first) He was a paralegal at (name of the law firm). He is in law school now.

VO: Which law school?

Me: (name of the school)

VO: That's a good school. He must be very smart.

Me: (Smiled) He works hard on it.

VO: Can you show me some photos?

Me: Yes. (pull out album, thin and ugly, made of 7-year-old recycled card paper) But most photos have already been shipped to US, here are only a few left.

VO: (Flipping through the pages) When were these taken?

Me: I marked the dates here (pointed at my handwritings). This one was taken (date)

VO: Where?

Me: Washington state where we used to live.

VO: Is this your daughter?

Me: (Proudly) Yes!

VO: She is cute.

Me: (Smile)

VO: ¡­(I didn't pay attention to what he said, but noticed that he pressed the button to call the next person and pulled out the pinky-orange slip, and I know he said something about me being approved.)

Me: Do you need the financial proof still? Oh, no, you have already had it.

VO: Right. (Apologetically) Sorry you have to wait for so long.

Me: Not really (smiling). My husband only moved away this August. (I was too happy to notice when I was handed the pincky-orange paper and whether or not I have said "thank you". I must have, because I am already westernized a bit and it is only natural if I did.)

My feeling about the interview is that I feel it is too short. I wish our nice conversation last longer.

P.S., I edited the script later because I missed a little detail when I first recalled the interview process.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

Great post Joanne. Your case is probably as close to a sure thing as it can come, still the information is valuable for those nervous about the interview. I think by an large most of the VOs are polite and behave in a professional manner. There have been a few though such as the one who interviewed my wife who are not. This in my opinion is why there needs to be more accountability in the interview process.

Joanne:

Excellent information on your specific background and the actual interview. I enjoyed the description of the exchange between the VO and yourself, particularly the nov-verbal communication that occured.

I concur that the interviews takes their course on a case-by-case basis and not a VO-by-VO basis. For each specific case the VO questions what is important to them and not necessarily what we might believe is important to us.

Congratulations again

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Joanne:

Thank you so much for your post! Did the VO need to see your daughter's U.S. passport or not?

Last month when I went to China, I took our son's U.S. passport and Consulate Report of Birth Abroad with me to the States so that I can apply for a SSN for our son. Last week I sent back to my wife a notarized copy of our son's U.S. passport and Consulate Report of Birth Abroad worrying that the important original documents lost in the mail. So my wife only has a notarized copy of our son's original U.S. passport for her interview. I am wondering if that matters.

Thanks.

Paul

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
Joanne:

Thank you so much for your post! Did the VO need to see your daughter's U.S. passport or not?

Last month when I went to China, I took our son's U.S. passport and Consulate Report of Birth Abroad with me to the States so that I can apply for a SSN for our son.  Last week I sent back to my wife a notarized copy of our son's U.S. passport and Consulate Report of Birth Abroad worrying that the important original documents lost in the mail.  So my wife only has a notarized copy of our son's original U.S. passport for her interview.  I am wondering if that matters.

Thanks.

Paul

174376[/snapback]

Prior to interview, I sent an email to GUZ asking whether I need to bring our daughter, USC, to the interview. The answer is no, I don't need to bring her, but should bring her passport to show the VO.

However, at the interview, neither the photocopy of my husband's passport nor my daughter's passport were asked for.

My opinion is that a notarized copy of your son's passport should be sufficient for your wife's interview. It would be even better if you can write a brief note accompanying the photocopy explaining the reason.

Just curious: how would your son travel without his passport? Unless you plan to come to China before they depart for US.

Good luck.

Prior to interview, I sent an email to GUZ asking whether I need to bring our daughter, USC, to the interview.  The answer is no, I don't need to bring her, but should bring her passport to show the VO.

However, at the interview, neither the photocopy of my husband's passport nor my daughter's passport were asked for.

My opinion is that a notarized copy of your son's passport should be sufficient for your wife's interview.  It would be even better if you can write a brief note accompanying the photocopy explaining the reason. 

Just curious: how would your son travel without his passport?  Unless you plan to come to China before they depart for US.

Good luck.

174547[/snapback]

Joanne:

Thank you for your reply. I will go back to get my wife and son to the U.S. as they barely speak any English and I do not want them get lost in air transit.

My son also has a Chinese passport with a "proforma B2 visa" on it. Chinese customs officials do not recognize the child's American nationality for the first time the child travels to the States. I confirmed this last time when I went to China when I spoke with a Chinese border control official. Does your daughter also have a Chinese passport with a B-2 visa? You need that for the first time she travels to the States.

Paul

No. She hasn't ever had a US visa. The story is:

We obtained a Chinese passport for her in hope that she would have an option to decide which citizenship to take when she reaches 18. Her first trip abroad was to Tailand with a Chinese passport. Later when we were trying to get her a B-2 visa for a US trip, the VO at US consulate in Shanghai told us that she needs to enter US with a US passport (because she is considered a US citizen). So we had to cancel her Chinese passport and get a US one.