Interview Experience at GUZ

Joanne

No.  She hasn't ever had a US visa.  The story is:

We obtained a Chinese passport for her in hope that she would have an option to decide which citizenship to take when she reaches 18.  Her first trip abroad was to Tailand with a Chinese passport.  Later when we were trying to get her a B-2 visa for a US trip, the VO at US consulate in Shanghai told us that she needs to enter US with a US passport (because she is considered a US citizen).  So we had to cancel her Chinese passport and get a US one.

174555[/snapback]

Joanne:

Getting into the U.S. with a U.S. passport should not be a problem. But exiting China using an American passport without an entry stamp could be a challenge. I would ask the Chinese border control officials at Shanghai International Airport to make sure her American passport would let her leave China. You do not want your daughter to be turned away by Chinese officials the last minute when you are trying to fly to the States.

In July 2005, I asked the Chinese border control officials at Beijing International Airport, they told me my son needs a Chinese passport to depart China for the first time and for subsequent entries into China, my son can use his American passport with a Chinese visa.

Paul

We obtained a Chinese passport for her in hope that she would have an option to decide which citizenship to take when she reaches 18.  Her first trip abroad was to Tailand with a Chinese passport.  Later when we were trying to get her a B-2 visa for a US trip, the VO at US consulate in Shanghai told us that she needs to enter US with a US passport (because she is considered a US citizen).  So we had to cancel her Chinese passport and get a US one.

174555[/snapback]

Joanne:

Getting into the U.S. with a U.S. passport should not be a problem. But exiting China using an American passport without an entry stamp could be a challenge. I would ask the Chinese border control officials at Shanghai International Airport to make sure her American passport would let her leave China. You do not want your daughter to be turned away by Chinese officials the last minute when you are trying to fly to the States.

In July 2005, I asked the Chinese border control officials at Beijing International Airport, they told me my son needs a Chinese passport to depart China for the first time and for subsequent entries into China, my son can use his American passport with a Chinese visa.

Paul

174562[/snapback]

I forgot how it was done, but my daughter has already visited US 3 times with no problem. I am sure your wife need to obtain some document from Chinese Public security Bureau (visa section) to show that your son was born in China, did not register as a Chinese citizen, etc.

It does not seem right to have both passports.

174555[/snapback]

Joanne:

Paul

174562[/snapback]

I forgot how it was done, but my daughter has already visited US 3 times with no problem. I am sure your wife need to obtain some document from Chinese Public security Bureau (visa section) to show that your son was born in China, did not register as a Chinese citizen, etc.

It does not seem right to have both passports.

174567[/snapback]

The following is an email that I received from Consulate in Chengdu in May this year:

"Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for your email. You would need to apply in person with your son and your wife in order for us to process the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passport. If all the documents are in order, it will take about 2-3 weeks, as DC would need to issue the passport and send it to us by mail. When the passport arrives, we will notify you or your wife and you may come to the Consulate to pick up both the passport and the CRBA.

You would need to bring in your marriage liscense, your son's birth certificate, your passport and your wife's passport, if she has one. If not, then she needs to bring in her national id card. You would also need to bring in three 2inx2in passport photos against a white background.

When your son is ready to leave the PRC, he would need to apply for a Chinese passport. This is becasue he was born in China to a Chinese citizen, the Chinese recognize him as a PRC national. They do not recognize dual citizenship. Once he has that, you can contact us to set up a time to make an appointment so that we can issue a pro-forma B-2 visa to his Chinese passport so that he could leave the PRC. The fee for a pro forma visa is USD100.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Consular, Chengdu"

:) Warning: please don't follow our example of getting child a Chinese passport to travel abroad (if he/she is a USC). No telling what will happen to you because it is not a "standard" practice and as the result, the consequence will not be predictable.