DCF interview experience

I thought I'd give you all the whole lowdown on John's interview...and a few things we learned in the process, issues more specific to DCF cases (especially those folks who have been in China for a while, like myself).

John went in after four security checks. After his name was called, he went up to a window. They (someone who was not the VO) asked for his I-864s (mine and my father's), and asked a couple of questions including "have you ever left the country?". They write down the answers and give it to the VO -- I imagine it saves the VOs time and gives them a feeling for the case before they begin questioning.

John also got fingerprinted and paid the 3,078 yuan fee in the consulate.

Then they called his number and he went up to the VO for his interview. His VO was a man over thirty with a long face, dark brown hair. John said he looked almost Brazilian.

John (smiling): Hi. (in English)

VO: (also smiling): Hi. May I see your passport? (in Chinese)

(John purposely takes out my passport first....he doesn't outwardly mention "my wife is waiting outside for me" but leaves no doubt about it by the gesture. After putting my passport down, then he takes out his and hands it over to the VO)

John: May I put my documents here? (in English)

VO: Sure. (in Chinese)

VO: You can speak English?

John: Yes.

(then the VO continued the questioning in English)

VO: How did you meet?

John: We worked together at XXXX in 2002. I am a translator, she is a copywriter. She proofread my translations.

VO: How long has been in China?

John: More than five years.

VO: Where will you live in the US?

John: Here is the domicile evidence. Do you want to see it? (we prepared a folder of evidence to prove my permanent residence is in the US).

VO: Yes. (VO studies the documents).

VO: Who is (my father's name)?

John: Her father.

VO: Can I see your pictures?

John: Yes. We got a lot of pictures. Here are just some samples.

(VO looks at them...gets to the birdwatching ones, VO stops)

John: Birdwatching.

(VO smiles)

VO: When will you go to the US?

John: The end of this year.

VO: Your visa is approved.

John: Thank you!

VO: Qing man zou.

John noticed, before the last question, he took out the approval slip.

We organized the documents by putting them in clear folders that were open on two sides, making it easy for the VO to pull out documents. Each folder had a list of contents. And I stuck tabs on to the folders so that John could easily find the folder he needed. He carried the evidence plus X-rays in a sturdy plastic bag.

BTW, should note that the pictures requested in the P3 packet (sideways pictures) were NEVER used. Seems to me I wonder why they ask for those pictures...kind of a waste of money. I think GUZ should update their forms if they aren't going to use them.

Issues to note:

Recently we were told that quite a number of DCF immigrant visa applications were denied. And worst is that after resubmitting overcome evidence several times, they still could not get visas!

Apparently, the American spouse -- in these cases -- in general had been in China for a while, had a profitable/steady job, real estate in China, and probably the SO had a fairly stable situation as well. I guess when the VOs see this sort of situation, in their minds they see it as "no reason to immigrate" and will sometimes deny on those grounds. I guess the thinking is you are already together and have a good life/future in China.

So a couple of things you should keep in mind:

--> You'll probably be asked something to the effect "Why do you want to go to the US"? It's a good idea to show the emotional reasons as well as evidence that you the American spouse will do better/have a better work situation in the US. They can especially understand emotional reasons, for example that your family misses you. Having a family member as a cosponsor is good to back this up.

--> I had already prepared a folder with a detailed statement about my plans to start a business -- along with evidence showing that I was indeed making steps towards this end. Your SO might consider actively mentioning it to the VO and asking if he would like to read it -- as acknowledgment of perhaps a major question in their minds. If you don't plan to go into business like I am, I think job offers/discussions of jobs and proof thereof would also do just fine. The point is just to show that you will be successful (perhaps more so) if you go to the US. Make sure your SO knows your plan and can answer questions about it. The VO didn't ask but John was prepared.

--> It seems that the aforementioned DCF couples who were denied visas probably didn't pass the "domicile" test -- to prove that your primary residence is in the US. I prepared a folder specifically for this evidence. It included an Affidavit from my father attesting to our relationship and the fact that our residence will be at his home when we arrive; a copy of my voter's registration card (showing the same address as my father); a copy of my driver's license (also same address as my father); one of my plane tickets back home and a copy of my frequent flyer's log showing all of the trips I've made back home; e-mails discussing my trips back home.

I think that's about it.

P.S.: David, are we going to get a DCF FAQ out there? I think some of this information would be really helpful on it. Let me know if you need someone to help out with it, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Great advice. I DCF's in Hong Kong for my wife and have now completed Packet 3 and snet it in. Also, just got back from Guz after having naturalized our 6 week old daughter. Yeah.

Anyway, yes, the domicile issue is important. I've put together a few domicile evidence items as well and two of the main reasons we want to go back is better job for me and to be close to my family, particularily since our daughter's grand-parents want to take an active part in her life. I like how your husband handled the passport issue (takign yorus out first). Good, subtle but necessary move.

hamlett22

Edited by hamlett22 (see edit history)
Congratulations

I did not know that the DCF is so detailed

171892[/snapback]

Can you please clarify what a DCF immigrant is? And as far as denials are concerned. I just got noa-2 for k-3 visa and when my wife eventually gets her interview, since I have only been to china 1 time to meet and marry her, does that mean she will not be approved? Thanks, your post has me worried.

Congratulations

171892[/snapback]

Can you please clarify what a DCF immigrant is? And as far as denials are concerned. I just got noa-2 for k-3 visa and when my wife eventually gets her interview, since I have only been to china 1 time to meet and marry her, does that mean she will not be approved? Thanks, your post has me worried.

171963[/snapback]

DCF is for 'direct consular filing'... those who were married in china and living there can file directly to a regional consulate.. whereas most of us filed state side at a visa center...

SO, the other differences are the filing location and those who do DCF are usually much faster (since their approval occurs at a consulate)... Once it moves to GUZ, for the P3 stage, we are all in the same boat and experiencing the same sea sickness.

Everyone's preparation for the interview is basically the same... If previous marriages or children, then some extra questions usually... see the FAQ interview for such issues...

Congratulations

171892[/snapback]

171963[/snapback]

DCF is for 'direct consular filing'... those who were married in china and living there can file directly to a regional consulate.. whereas most of us filed state side at a visa center...

SO, the other differences are the filing location and those who do DCF are usually much faster (since their approval occurs at a consulate)... Once it moves to GUZ, for the P3 stage, we are all in the same boat and experiencing the same sea sickness.

Everyone's preparation for the interview is basically the same... If previous marriages or children, then some extra questions usually... see the FAQ interview for such issues...

171997[/snapback]

Thank you. I will visit in febuary 06 , i will have my letter from work specify that i only have 2 weeks vacation per year, and for obvious reasons, if i were not stateside working, I couldnt prove I could support her 125% over the poverty lines, so is that a special hardship thing? If i were looking for a good reason that I didnt visit my wife a lot. a mans got to work.

Someone else recently used a preemptive step by stating their lack of vacation, but were denied the visa until their job verified that.. you are at least getting this letter ahead of time.

I would only suggest that there is no reason to voluntarily bring this up at the interview, unless your wife is point blank asked why you don't visit more. Just keep that evidence in her 'pocket' till needed. With two visits to her by the interview, you probably will be fine...