Certificate of marriageability

Elf and I flew to Chengdu and 24 hours later we had the certificate in hand. Add to that a hamburger, pancakes, and REAL spaghetti and Id call it a successful trip! Anyway, here is what we did.

Sunday, July 17th - Flew from Guiyang to Chengdu. Price ~ 640 RMB/ticket. Took a bus to Renmin Nanlu (4th section...its a LONG road) and walked 5 min to the US embassy. Found a hotel across the street, the Friendship Hotel. I would reccomend it; only 120 for a room but it had 3 TINY beds. Oh well. I called the embassy and they said to bring 1) Elf 2) her ID card 3) my passport 4) and $30. I didnt have US currency but they took my 249 RMB without a problem.

Monday, July 18th - The embassy opens at 8:30am and by 7:30 there was a line stretching around the corner. I called the embassy and they said no worries, Im an American so I can walk right in. The line is for the locals. US citizens can come after 1:30 pm so I did. The staff and guards were all very professional and helpful. Went inside, signed this and that, and 20 minutes later I had my certificate. They couldnt give me answers to any other questions and one worker warned me a DCF would take about a year. I took that with a big grain of salt...most of the DCF's here on this forum have reported 3-5 months. Took a flight home at 7:30. Price ~ 440/Ticket.

Anyway, it was quick and painless.The total cost for two 2-way tickets, hotel, and lots of good western food was almost 3000. NOT CHEAP but well worth it if it gets my baby home. Next step - tying the knot, Guizhou-style. Speaking of which, I STILL dont know whether we must get married in her hometown or the province capital. Ive heard both from many people. Does anybody have a definitive answer? PLEASE get back to me asap if you do. We need to get married within the next two weeks or it will add a few months to our stay here.

I'd opt on the side of caution. If there is a marriage office in her home town marry there. It only takes an hour or so.

What was the name of the Italian restaurant? My wife's friend's sister is married to an Italian guy and they run a small Italian restaurant not far from the consulate.

We did the Certificate of marriagability in Chengdu, but the experience wasn't quite the same as yours. There were a lot of Chinese soldiers with automatic rifles and they were not too pleasant to anybody. They chased us off the sidewalk while we were walking to the consulate, and kept telling us to move when I brought the paperwork outside for my wife to fill in her part.

We took the bus from Chengdu to Chongqing. Not a fun ride. I probably could have slept the whole way, but the driver was in love with his very loud horn. Every time we passed another vehicle he leaned on the horn.

Edited by Martytb (see edit history)

I think this was answered in another post...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=138324

audelair,

My wife and I live in Beijing, but left China for 2 weeks to be married in Hawaii.  Upon return, we did a DCF through the consulate here, and it was accepted without any issue.  I don't think the location of your marriage is of concern, provided you have an apostille of the marriage certificate to prove the union is legally binding.

As for the 6 month wait, I don't really know, but I personally think there is no such requirement.  If the petitioner can produce a residence permit, I believe the consulate would probably accept the petition.  I don't know for sure though.  DCF is a courtesy offered to US citizens, so they could refuse to accept your petition, but I think if the petitioner has legitimate reasons to be residing in China, there shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

A&A

138324[/snapback]

---

The bottom line, I would call the consulate that you would submit to. Remember, the consulates do not have to accept any DCF. I would tell them where the marriage will occur and ask if 'direct filing' to them will be accepted...

Check with the Marriage Registry!!!!