Direct consular filing

I filed for the K-3 the beginning of 4/05 I am learning that this is the longest way to be with my new wife. I was thinking of going to GZ to file direct, What is the process and the rules for filing there. I understand that I will need to cancel the petition already filed.

If you experts can give me the the Do's and Don'ts That would be helpful and hopfully reunite us sooner!

I filed direct, you need to show both your residence card along with your passport with a work visa/student visa. Also you dont file at the embassy you file at the ucbs? er the new office ucibs? erm? Cant rember the acronym. If you have lived here and have the stuff the people will take you right through it, if your wife is there you can fil out ALL the forms there and they will check to make sure if you have not made mistakes, then file it for you.

Hi, I'm a long time reader, but haven't posted anything before. But thought I'd share some past experience about DCF.

We filed DCF because we both live and work in Guangzhou. We filed directly at the Guangzhou Consulate. You need to file at the consulate/embassy that has jurisdiction over your area of your residence. When I first got there, they kept on sending me different places because no one seemed to have heard of DCF. You need to go to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on the second floor (next to American Citizen Services (ACS)). Also, I could only file Tuesday or Thursday afternoon (if I remember correctly).

You do not need to wait 6 months after you get your residence book. I only had my residence book for a few weeks before I filed. And I know people who filed the day after they got their residence book.

Oh, let me add a simple timeline.

Once I have a job, Do I have to stay for a certain length of time??? Or can we just come back to the states when we are successful in getting the visa?

Also, what is the process of getting a work permit, I was going to do some searching for a job on my next trip... Then make a decision

The employer takes care of obtaining a work permit (z-visa) and a residence book. Usually takes 2-3 weeks including a medical examination.

As soon as you get a residence book, you can file DCF and immediately leave China if you want (although you might face penalties if you are tied into a contract).

As a small note, DCF can only be done for a spouse, and it is an immigrant visa (CR1). You can not do a K visa DCF.

A few extra notes:

1. Depending on how far along your K3 is in the pipeline, filing a DCF probably won't save you much time given that you'll need to arrange for a job in China, get the work visa, medical check, and residence card. Once you find a job, it's going to take you at least a month, so I wouldn't cancel your current application right away. The DCF isn't an automatic thing either, there's still a signficant waiting period. Much shorter than filing for a CR1 from the USA or doing any of the K visas, but you're still looking at a wait (it's not like you file the application, and you get the visa a week later because you file in China).

2. While DCF is probably understood by some people at the Consulate and is probably the best way to look for information about the procedure both on this site and on the Internet generally, please note that it is NOT an official government term. So, if you search the Consulate web pages you won't turn anything up if you search for DCF. But if you look for marriage information, I believe all of the Consulates and the Embassy do have some general information there.

Guangzhou does seem to know nothing about DCF, we should have filed there as well because we were living under Guangzhou's juristiction as well.

If you are trying to get a work visa it might take some time depending on where you are living in China. In some places there are few Chinese companies that are able to get you a Z visa. Or they may tell you they can get you one and a residents book but it will say that you are living in a different city and doing a entirely different job. This may cause some problems later.

Guangzhou does seem to know nothing about DCF, we should have filed there as well because we were living under Guangzhou's juristiction as well.

If you are trying to get a work visa it might take some time depending on where you are living in China.  In some places there are few Chinese companies that are able to get you a Z visa.  Or they may tell you they can get you one and a residents book but it will say that you are living in a different city and doing a entirely different job.  This may cause some problems later.

some have filed their DCF at the GUZ consulate.. so it's probably finding the right person to talk to...