Now that I have my case number, I am starting this thread that will detail my EP experience with the NVC. I do so for the benefit of those who will follow me and would like to see a quick reference of what to do and what to expect.

After I got my case number from the operator, I also asked for and received my IIN (invoice identification number). Once I had those two numbers, I confirmed with the operator that my AOS (Affidavit of Support) invoice would be emailed to me. I will send the actual OPTIN email to have the case converted from paper to electronic after I receive this invoice in my inbox. Now, you are able to send that OPTIN email once you have the GUZ case number, however, due to problems people have experienced sending in the OPTIN email prior to receiving the AOS invoice, I have made the decision to wait for the invoice in my inbox prior to sending the OPTIN email.

Of note:

• When I was speaking with the operator in receiving my case number, the operator confirmed my email address and asked for my wife's email, I gave it to him; the only thing I would suggest is to tell your spouse that you will be telling the NVC their email address so they are not caught off guard when they start receiving emails from the NVC.
  • In case you don't already know, you will be initially assigned a GUZ number followed by a set of number, when your case is converted from paper to electronic, the case number will change to GZO and have a new set of numbers.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things you can do while waiting for the NOA2 from USCIS or a case number from the NVC to prepare for EP:

Order tax transcripts from the IRS, they will be needed for the AOS package (you have the option of using return forms and accompany documents such as W2's, however, transcripts are easier to deal with, I opted to use the tax return and W2 form for the most recent year and transcripts for the previous two years)

Have your boss or your employer's HR manager write an employment verification letter stating your job title, pay rate, and time you have been with the company. If you are self-employed, the I-864 will instruct you on what you need to submit.

Organize your pay stubs; the most recent one showing the year to date should be sufficient for submission. I made the choice to submit the ones I have in my possession for this calendar year.

Fill in the DS-230, scan it, and email it to your spouse. When the NOA2 comes, have your spouse print, sign, and date the DS-230; plus your spouse will need to hand write the areas where it asks for Chinese characters. Your spouse will scan the signed DS-230 and email it back to you. You can also mail the printed DS-230 for your spouse to sign and mail back to you. Do the same thing with the DS-3032.

Start creating your AOS and DS-230 packages by scanning all appropriate material (transcripts, civil documents, forms etc).

By doing all of this ahead of time, when the actual time comes to email the appropriate package (when the bill is paid). Most of your work will be done. For both AOS and DS-230 packages, you will need to compress your file so it is under 10MB.

One day after receiving my case number, the AOS bill is invoiced and I recieved the AOS invoice in my inbox. For good measure, I went to the payment and was successfully able to sign into it.

When you compose your OPTIN email, the first thing you should do is attach the DS-3032 singed by your spouse. I was so focused on the subject line and the body of the message that in I sent the first OPTIN email, I FORGOT TO ATTACH THE DS-3032. :headbang: :Dah: :bangin: I realized this about 15 minutes later and resent the OPTIN email, If there are any delays or other adverse affects because of this, it will be self-inflicted. So I will say it again, attach the singed DS-3032 by your spouse FIRST when composing the OPTIN email before doing anything else.

The OPTIN email can be sent by the petitioner from the petitioner's email address.

After you attach the DS-3032, you will compose your OPTIN email to NVCElectronic@state.gov

This must be the subject line: OPTIN GUZ##########

In the body of the email you will list:

Petitioner's email address

Beneficiary's email address

Petitioner's name

Beneficiary's name

Petitioner's date of birth

Beneficiary's date of birth

Fill in the DS-230, scan it, and email it to your spouse. When the NOA2 comes, have your spouse print, sign, and date the DS-230; plus your spouse will need to hand write the areas where it asks for Chinese characters. Your spouse will scan the signed DS-230 and email it back to you. You can also mail the printed DS-230 for your spouse to sign and mail back to you. Do the same thing with the DS-3032.

Start creating your AOS and DS-230 packages by scanning all appropriate material (transcripts, civil documents, forms etc).

By doing all of this ahead of time, when the actual time comes to email the appropriate package (when the bill is paid). Most of your work will be done. For both AOS and DS-230 packages, you will need to compress your file so it is under 10MB.

I'll have to post in my thread if there is a problem with the 10MB issue since I did not compress my AOS file and collectively they are over that. I see a VJ thread where a guy says his 25MB file was returned to his mail server, although an operator told him there is no limit. I was definitely over 10MB (but did send multiple files in a single email, so it is their total which is over 10MB); I have not [yet] received any returned email. Actually, each time you send something you get back a notice they have it and will process it in the next 20 days. I did get back this confirmation for my AOS files, so there is some question as to what is the exact limit. I would say to definitely shoot for 10MB as a max but if it's 12-13MB like mine, your either get the confirmation or you get a returned email. Not a big deal.

One issue concerning the civil documents. They want the GZO# put on the upper right hand corner of all the pages of any document that will be submitted. This instruction is in the Document Cover Letter that comes after the DS-230 is processed.

Here is what you'll need signed or provided by the chinese national all of which will need to be scanned and sent as attachments at some time: At least this

1. DS-230

2. P3 Supplement

3. Passport Bio Page

4. Two passport pictures

I might recommend you have them do all of this about the same time since it is easy to do them once they learn how to scan them and email them off. They can do all of these ASAP and send off.

There are various notarial certificates, of course, which make up part of the civil documents, but I assume the USC has these. If not, the chinese national could just scan and send them to the USC but it is a lot of scanning overall.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

I'll have to post in my thread if there is a problem with the 10MB issue since I did not compress my AOS file and collectively they are over that.

One issue concerning the civil documents. They want the GZO# put on the upper right hand corner of all the pages of any document that will be submitted. This instruction is in the Document Cover Letter that comes after the DS-230 is processed.

Here is what you'll need signed or provided by the chinese national all of which will need to be scanned and sent as attachments at some time: At least this

1. DS-230

2. P3 Supplement

3. Passport Bio Page

4. Two passport pictures

I might recommend you have them do all of this about the same time since it is easy to do them once they learn how to scan them and email them off. They can do all of these ASAP and send off.

There are various notarial certificates, of course, which make up part of the civil documents, but I assume the USC has these. If not, the chinese national could just scan and send them to the USC but it is a lot of scanning overall.

Are you talking about the NVC having a 10mb per email receiving limit? Mine was over 10 same as Dawei's but I had no problem sending it.

Are you talking about the NVC having a 10mb per email receiving limit? Mine was over 10 same as Dawei's but I had no problem sending it.

I just sent my remaining IV docs... it is over 10MB. I don't really expect a problem but one file was 7MB so we'll see if there could be an individual file limit since this is quite big.

My AOS doc were very large as being retired I had a ton of paperwork proving my VA and SSDI income. I reached the NVC limit trying to send in 50 some pages in one e-mail. :lol:

Only thing it did was not send me the bounce back "responce" e-mail. I just broke everything down into less than 20 or 25 pages per e-mail and no problem. Those NVC contractors who review all this EP stuff were very easy to work with and everything is pretty seamless.

Good luck to all.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

What are y'all doing about the passport style photos?

My wife had sent me passport style photos, I just scanned them in as JPEG files and they appear on one page. The dimensions are the same.

But all attachments have to be in .pdf style as I know it. I have it figured out now....I will edit the photos to be precisely 2X2 (can be done in Paint), print them on photographic paper them scan them and send it to .pdf. I had my son email the pic to me. He needs to keep the originals with him and no need to go to the expense sending then via snail mail.

What are y'all doing about the passport style photos?

My wife had sent me passport style photos, I just scanned them in as JPEG files and they appear on one page. The dimensions are the same.

But all attachments have to be in .pdf style as I know it. I have it figured out now....I will edit the photos to be precisely 2X2 (can be done in Paint), print them on photographic paper them scan them and send it to .pdf. I had my son email the pic to me. He needs to keep the originals with him and no need to go to the expense sending then via snail mail.

I've had to do most things in 2 steps (sometimes 3)... scan and then print to PDF. Sometimes, Print to paper & sign, then Scan and Print to PDF. I had 2x2 photos, so just scanned them both to a paper as Ryan.

I paid the AOS bill this evening. I was holding out until the GUZ number became a GZO number so I could print the bar code cover sheet once the payment was accepted. However, I decided to get the payment out of the way and once I have that GZO number, I should be able to print the appropriate bar code cover sheet.

I paid the AOS bill this evening. I was holding out until the GUZ number became a GZO number so I could print the bar code cover sheet once the payment was accepted. However, I decided to get the payment out of the way and once I have that GZO number, I should be able to print the appropriate bar code cover sheet.

You can call NVC to get the actual GZO #.

I just sent my remaining IV docs... it is over 10MB. I don't really expect a problem but one file was 7MB so we'll see if there could be an individual file limit since this is quite big.

My files were all accepted; the largest one was 7mb and all combined attachments were about 11.5mb