What items are good to bring back from China?

processed foods that have been cooked,pickled or otherwise preserved other than simple drying are usually diregarded if they are in commercially sealed packages. These can not pass pests into the environment which is what the agricultural quarantine is for. Meat & Poultry in any form is prohibited to be brought from China. Seafood that is cooked and in sealed commercial packages is ok. This is in reference to small (less than 5 pound quantities for private consumption.

Guest blsqueaky
processed foods that have been cooked,pickled or otherwise preserved other than simple drying are usually diregarded if they are in commercially sealed packages. These can not pass pests into the environment which is what the agricultural quarantine is for. Meat & Poultry in any form is prohibited to be brought from China. Seafood that is cooked and in sealed commercial packages is ok. This is in reference to small (less than 5 pound quantities for private consumption.

Tony, agree with DanR here, when Ling came here both times, she had packaged many of the different foods and spices, along with meds that she can not buy here. In fact one suitcase was just about full of this, both times. Also many of the noodle soups that I like over there. Sine her return, now we have found a great place that sells many of this, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper there, $1.00 here compared to about 20 cents there.

:P Soy Sauce B)

My Lao Po claims China soy sauce is different than american soy sauce. Don't ask me? But when she makes certain dishes I really liked back in Beijing here in America and I comment about it not tasting the same, she insists the soy sauce here is not as dark yet much more salty.

Bring on back a few bottles of soy sauce! :D

Nothing like weighting down those bags....is there? ;)

PapaBear :ph34r:

Tea Pots

Tea

Books

Movies & cds are ok in personal cd carrier

Clothes Clothes Clothes ( the fashion in China to my surprise is pretty trendy even compared to Londonor Paris )

Pickles ( served in breakfast )

Dry meat/ sea food

Dry soup from maggi or knorr

Spices & barbecue sauce

chillie paste sauce ( korean style )

I think that would be ok for a while then she will need to go back to refill your stocks _ hehehe

You cannot import food products, like fruits or veggies. I think this would extend to pickles and jarred chilli sauce or bbq sauce.

Actually on my first trip back from visiting my SO, my SO's sister (who was travelling with me) brought back some Chinese veggies (the kind you can't find them here in USA). I told her there is no way custom will let us get thru. The custom agent opened up all our baggages and saw them. He let us bring them into the country. I am clueless.

:P Soy Sauce B)

My Lao Po claims China soy sauce is different than american soy sauce.  Don't ask me?  But when she makes certain dishes I really liked back in Beijing here in America and I comment about it not tasting the same, she insists the soy sauce here is not as dark yet much more salty.

Bring on back a few bottles of soy sauce! :lol:

Nothing like weighting down those bags....is there? ;)

PapaBear :rolleyes:

Just take her to a big Chinese grocery market in San Fran or other Asian areas in California and show her all the soy sauces. :D

I also heard you get good eyeglasses (presciption) very cheap. I am not sure about contact lens.

I think the glasses here are much more expensive than in the US. They never go on sale. In the US you always see signs like "free frames" but you have to pay for the lenses.

I wear disposable contacts and they cost the same here as in the US. But it hurts more here cuz I make a Chinese salary.

Tony, agree with DanR here, when Ling came here both times, she had packaged many of the different foods and spices, along with meds that she can not buy here. In fact one suitcase was just about full of this, both times. Also many of the noodle soups that I like over there. Sine her return, now we have found a great place that sells many of this, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper there, $1.00 here compared to about 20 cents there.

I love the instant noodles over there! They are so much better than the ones here. The ones here only have the one packet of seasoning, over there there is a packet for seasoning, one for dried veggies and one for oil.....mmmmmmm :D