ID card and live address different

Hi, another question for you all. My SO has an id card from her hometown (ningbo), however she lives in shenzhen. I put on all forms her current address where she lives now so that she can recieve correspondance from consulate.

Do you think since she has an ID card from another province it will cause problems?

You want her to receive correspondece at current address. Her ID from another location will not be a problem. The ID card is issued by a person's hukou, ( typically -roughly eguivalent to where they were born and raised). A person may or may not live in their hukou. China's systems may be administered locally based, but they are nationally effective. If you move to another province you do not get a new ID card. Do not equate a China ID card with a US drivers license.

You will see similar questions on the police cert, it can only come from a person's hukou, - not every place they have lived.

There are some situations where a person's record's are no longer with their hukou and are being held by someone else. Student, government worker are typical. Ying's brother is a doctor and all his hukou records are held by the hospital where he works.

Meidon

Sorry no response past mine, but you do want the embassy to send P3/P4 to your Laopo's current address. It does not matter her ID card is for somewhere else.

You will have to get the birth certificate, police certificate, etc from her "hukou", which is probably her hometown. I just went through a "dryrun" with Ying. Her other brother, the policeman, helped confirm this was the right way to do it

Meidon:

I agree with "ed and ying". The Chinese system is different than the US system.

My wife is from Hunan Province but now lives and works in Shenzhen. Her "Household Registry Book" is still in Hunan Province. Her ID card and passport were both issued through Hunan. However, she does has a Shenzhen "temporary" ID card issued from Shenzhen.

All of our correspondence with the USCIS, DOS, and US Consulate in Guangzhou refer to her current address in Shenzhen. I do not think this will be an issue at interview time.

Her (if applicable) Notarial Marriage Certificate, Notarial Birth Certificate, and Notarial Police Certificate will be issue in her hometown: where her Household Registry Book is located, in our case my wife's hometown in Hunan Province.

Mark