Civil surgeon in WA

Hi everyone. I was shocked to open the mail last week and find our AOS interview scheduled for the 2nd week in May. Now we're scrambling to get things together. We already got all the shots, but I'm shopping for a civil surgeon to sign off on the thing. So far all the docs I've called require her to come in for a complete exam (seems like a scam if ever there were one). Did anyone in WA state (western half of the state) have a good experience with one of these people that they can pass along???

Turtle,

I haven't checked yet, but I am willing to bet that the Doc's on that list are the only the one's that advertise it. I think that there are a lot of other physicians that are civil surgeons. I believe you need to be a "Civil Surgeon" to do things like flight physicals and so forth.

I don't have a Family Doctor at this time, but that is where I am going to start looking, if your family doc is not a civil surgeon maybe he can refer one that is not going to rip you off.

When did you send in your AOS?

Hi Gene, I was hoping my Family Doc would be one, or at least have one in the clinic, but they were all pretty baffled when I brought in the forms. I'll keep going down the list and see if any of these are reasonable. I do notice that the official list has recently expanded considerably.

We sent in AOS around the middle of Feb, our action date was Feb 28.

I just made a few calls to my old family doc's practice( he retired) and they have a doc there that does flight physicals , but is not a civil surgeon. So maybe I am just blowing smoke, wouldn't be the first time I've been confused.

Have you called the health department?

I work for Bastyr, but they are Naturopaths and Accupuncturists here so no help.

I don't know maybe we are stuck with the list :ph34r:

This is unbelievable, folks. I've never seen such a scam. I've now called about a dozen of these docs-- most of them won't sign anything without conducting a complete physical ($200-400) and even the ones that will agree to just sign the vaccination supplement want $60-100. Rip us any way they can, I guess. Now I think I'm just going to drive down to Portland and go to the doc that Jim recommended who does it for $5. Worth the trip.

This is unbelievable, folks.  I've never seen such a scam.  I've now called about a dozen of these docs-- most of them won't sign anything without conducting a complete physical ($200-400) and even the ones that will agree to just sign the vaccination supplement want $60-100.  Rip us any way they can, I guess.  Now I think I'm just going to drive down to Portland and go to the doc that Jim recommended who does it for $5.  Worth the trip.

Call first.