Video Tape demonstrating Chinese Ability

Hi there,

This is my first visit to this site and I am so glad I found it! I too have been in limbo waiting to hear some word of when my fiancee will have her interview. I had originally hired an immigration lawyer who told me there would be no problems and it was a 2-3 month process. HA! What a sucker I am! $750 down the drain for nothing.

Anyways, we are waiting for the interview date and after reading all of your war stories, I am absolutely terrified. I want to make sure my fiancee has everything she needs for the interview.

Some background: I was a translator for the government, have a degree and several certificates in Chinese Mandarin and lived in China for almost three years, two of those with my fiancee.

My question is: Do you think I need to prepare a video as well, or should my degrees and diplomas suffice?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input guys.

The thing is, I am no longer in China. I took a job in the States in 2003 because I thought it would make it easier for my fiancee to get over. I have only been able to visit her once last September because of finances and its really killing us! I started the process last July (the whole thing was delayed by the scheister immigration lawyer who took me for $750), and Dahn sent in her P3 packet in the beginning of January, so I am hoping she will get an internview date sent to her in the next month or so.

She does not however, really speak English, as my Chinese was always more than adequate for our communications. Do you think if I send the following information, it would suffice?

BA in Chinese Language and Literature from University of Hawaii

Chinese Linguist Diploma from the Defense Language Institute

Certificate of Advanced Chinese Studies from Hainan Univeristy

Certificate of Advanced Chinese Studies from Brigham Young

Certificate of English - Mandarin Interpreting from Language Line University

Thanks again for your help and support. I am so glad I found this website

- Jon

Your timeline is almost the same as ours. Hopefully that means P-4s soon.

Since you are submitting this to government clerks (I think you know what I mean, no slurs intended) and your paper work does not state Madarin Oral Communication, I would send the VHS of you speaking to the VO in Mandarin and English. Also perhaps you can send a letter in Chinese and translated into English for the VO. Translations must have the statement by the translator that they are fluent and able to render Chinese to English. Since these are things the VO's actually look at when they make their fast decision on a relationship, they should be more effective than the certifications and degrees that they might over look. I would send all of the above mentioned.

hayuesen, we have similar backgrounds (degrees in Chinese and having lived with our fiancees in China for a few years), so I thought I'd reply.

The tape is only a requirement if they issue you a Blue slip and tell your fiancee they need evidence that you can communicate in the form of a tape. It's not something she can show them during the interview, and I understand not something they're even willing to accept at that time. It might be a good idea to make the tape now anyway, however, just in case she can use it the day after the interview (if she needs it) and you won't have to fly to China to do another one.

Here's one small problem though: From what I understand, the tape may require you to say certain phrases in Chinese. The phrases will be listed in Chinese characters on the slip. Therefore, if you make a tape before hand it may not be of any use, as it will not have fulfilled the requirments. With that said, however, I know that several people who were asked for videos who did NOT speak Mandarin. They made a tape of them and their Chinese fiancee speaking to just show communication, and they passed. So, maybe a video where you show off your Mandarin skills might be acceptable.

You should definitely also send photocopies (or maybe even the originals, if you can part with them briefly) of your degrees for your SO to take to the interview. (That is, don't just make a list saying I have a BA .. blah, blah - but actually send copies of the diplomas/transcripts.) I made a photocopy of my most recent transcript from a Chinese university for my SO to take to her inteview in the even the issue came up. Since her English is quite good, however, they never asked for anything.

Also, considering you were in China for a while before meeting your fiancee and then lived with her for a couple years, I think there's a good chance that they will not put the same requirement to prove communication on you as they would someone who met their fiancee on the Internet and visited once or twice for a few weeks.

But, you never know what might be requested, so better to go in with too much than too little (with few exceptions). So, in conclusion (sorry this was so long ... :rolleyes: ), you might want to send her a tape and definitely send copies of your diplomas so you can relax (not that you'll be able to, but you know, relax in theory).

She does not however, really speak English, as my Chinese was always more than adequate for our communications.

Jon,

I think your fiancee should try to learn English as well. Not only it would help her in the interview but will help her later in USA (adapt to life there). I would recommend the Chinese loveone to learn English and the American to learn Chinese.

My 2 yuan -

If you lived in China for 3 years AND have degrees in Mandarin, the communication thing should be no problem and a no brainer! If this evidence was submitted with the original I129F, no worries!

But as off the wall as a few of the interviews have gone, make a tape anyway just in case she is the one that gets the hard nosed VO! Better to be over prepared then say "Damn I wish I . . . . ."

I think your fiancee should try to learn English as well. Not only it would help her in the interview but will help her later in USA (adapt to life there).  I would recommend the Chinese loveone to learn English and the American to learn Chinese.

Couldn't agree more... and this Mandarin thing is not a walk in the park, ugh !!

Thanks for all your input guys,

I will send over all my documentation and see what I can do about a VHS tape. Dahn is practicing her English, her comprehension is quite good, but her speaking skills need some work. I am sure that will change quickly once she is in the States.

Regarding my nefarious lawyer, do you think I have any recourse to issue a complaint? Obviously, anyone who advises that this is a 2-3 month process is either lying or doesnt know what they are talking about. Of course I will do nothing of the sort until after my SO is here, but I wondered if I could write the American Immigration Lawyers Association or the state bar.

Regards

Regarding my nefarious lawyer, do you think I have any recourse to issue a complaint?  Obviously, anyone who advises that this is a 2-3 month process is either lying or doesnt know what they are talking about.  Of course I will do nothing of the sort until after my SO is here, but I wondered if I could write the American Immigration Lawyers Association or the state bar. 

Regards

Regarding law, I just know that I am subject to a lot of it ...

My first reaction is: Was it documented in an agreement or letter? Even if so, I'd think the wording would be hard to hold against them in a process such as this, which is in flux and has so many variables.

But I think you point might also be that to lodge the complaint so it gets into a system somewhere.

Personally, I think that most all of the lawyers and visa services are not clued in to the timeframes. I would personally not pursue it.

Regarding my nefarious lawyer, do you think I have any recourse to issue a complaint?  Obviously, anyone who advises that this is a 2-3 month process is either lying or doesnt know what they are talking about.  Of course I will do nothing of the sort until after my SO is here, but I wondered if I could write the American Immigration Lawyers Association or the state bar.  

Regards

Regarding law, I just know that I am subject to a lot of it ...

My first reaction is: Was it documented in an agreement or letter? Even if so, I'd think the wording would be hard to hold against them in a process such as this, which is in flux and has so many variables.

But I think you point might also be that to lodge the complaint so it gets into a system somewhere.

Personally, I think that most all of the lawyers and visa services are not clued in to the timeframes. I would personally not pursue it.

My sense is that if the lawyer handled a lot a K visas AND was familiar with processing in GZ, he/she would be hard pressed to say something like this. On the other hand, if he/she handled a lot of K visas out of other countries, like the EU countries, he/she would be closer to the mark. In either event, he/she was naive or was intentionally misleading you in order to get your business.

BA in Chinese Language and Literature from University of Hawaii

Chinese Linguist Diploma from the Defense Language Institute

Certificate of Advanced Chinese Studies from Hainan Univeristy

Certificate of Advanced Chinese Studies from Brigham Young

Certificate of English - Mandarin Interpreting from Language Line University

Your name isn't DaShan by chance? :lol:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....b3a902cc288a25b