Tax question

There is a child tax credit of 1,000.00 for qualified children under 17. my stepdaughter is 15. One of the eligibility requirements is that she is a permanent resident alien. Although she has not yet received her green card, my readings of what qualifies her to be a permanent legal alien show that she qualifies.

Anyone know for sure??

April 15 is soon-very soon

Cancel the permanent legal alien-it actually states 'resident alien' as the qualifier.

"Resident alien" is more broadly defined for tax purposes than for immigrations purposes. In addition to including an LPR, it also includes someone who's been in the US for a certain length of time. If memory serves, you count the number of days in the US in the current year (2004, I presume), 1/3 of the number of days in the US for the previous year (2003), and 1/6 the number of days in the US for the next previous year (2002). If the total is at least 183, then I think the individual would meet the definition of a "resident alien". In your case, it sounds like Wang Fang might meet this test even though she doesn't have a green card yet.

Hopefully, an expert in this area can confirm this for you.

Cancel the permanent legal alien-it actually states 'resident alien' as the qualifier.

"Resident alien" is more broadly defined for tax purposes than for immigrations purposes. In addition to including an LPR, it also includes someone who's been in the US for a certain length of time. If memory serves, you count the number of days in the US in the current year (2004, I presume), 1/3 of the number of days in the US for the previous year (2003), and 1/6 the number of days in the US for the next previous year (2002). If the total is at least 183, then I think the individual would meet the definition of a "resident alien". In your case, it sounds like Wang Fang might meet this test even though she doesn't have a green card yet.

Hopefully, an expert in this area can confirm this for you.

Yeah Frank, I just re-read the criteria . It says she is qualified if she has a green card OR meets the 183 days thing and I think it said she must have a SSN with work authorization--Have that and she was here for nine months so Yahooooooo!!!. I just saved a thousand bucks.

Actually, last year I asked my tax dude about it and he told me she would have to be a US citizen. So I had already figure my taxes without the $1,000. Just to check my math etc I went to turbo tax and put the stuff in-they had me owing $1,000. less than I had already written the check for.

I liked it so much that I even paid them the 39 bucks and printed it out. Wahoooooooooo, an extra Grande --now how can I keep it secret from Fang Ling????

Guest hakkamike

There is also some verbage (somewhere) that states that the children of the immigrant spouse takes on his or her status as far as filing taxes.

Later, Michael Perez

Don't confuse the IRS term for "resident alien" with the one used by USCIS. They are quite different.

Agreed. When in doubt take the deduction/credit and ask for forgiveness in the unlikely event that you will ever be questioned about it.

Assuming SSN's are in order and legit.