and had no problems. On the 3rd trip, the cops came to the

apartment I was sharing with my fiance and I was forced to

register. There was talk of a fine but after writing and signing

an affidavit saying I didn't know I had to register, they let me

go with a warning.

I don't recall my fiance's hukou being an issue. I'll check with

her when I talk to her tonight.

An interesting aspect of this is that the cop who was in charge

of the area we live in seemed very concerned with his own neck.

My fiance said he could potentially get into trouble for not finding

out about me sooner. Apparently at least in this district, the cops

are supposed to be on the lookout for foreigners and make sure

they are registered.

- fhtb

Meilinycun in Shenzhen is the same way. It is a government housing dristrict with alot of officials. I think they are just curious of foreignors on the block. Watchu doin here? Before I went to renew my visa in Shenzhen (which is a hell of alot cheaper than HKG), they told me to go register and bring a copy of my I-797, Notice of Action. After the second 90-days they said I would need to re-enter though. We sub-lease also, and it was no big deal.

• 5 weeks later...

The last time I went was for 3 months and I did register. I did not for the shorter stays. We went to the police station around the corner and the first time they could not find the forms so we had to go back the next day. We were staying in a rented condo which was not her regular address so I don't think you would have a problem on that count.

I think it is a good idea to register as if you are by yourself and a car hits you or some other accident befalls you, it will give the police a name to contact.

I have always had good experiences with the Chinese police. The other time was when I applied for an internal visa and the cop just wanted to practice his English. But I got the visa eventho we were borderline.