Yes Portland is much better now. There was a big media blitz about 5 years ago where the Oregonian did an expose about INS abuses here in Portland. They got a new director in and became much more immigrant friendly. For a while the Japanese were calling Portland "deportland" Whole new attitude at PDX

We used Portland as POE. It was a very pleasant experience. Every one had smiles and was very nice.

Big sign right above the Passport Conrol Booths pledges that all vistors will be treated with the utmost respect and curtesy. They live up to that sign.

So if in the past they were bad. They have changed. I would say into one of the best I have had the pleasure of going through.

Just make sure you do not lie !! One Japanese student made the mistake when we were going through. They politely ask if you are bringing food into the US. They scan bags at random. If they catch you, they will fine you. This young lady got a $100 dollar fine. He knew she understood, but then she tried to play dumb when she got caught.

We went through PDX as POE (from NRT on NWA obviously), and it was great. No problems at all.

Things used to be bad 5 years ago - but now they've gone 180 degress - we got preferential treatment, it was great!! ;)

We were last off the plane. Thus we were last in line. Fairly long lines too. But then a TSA gal saw us standing at the back of the line (the non-citizen line) and (assuming I was a US citizen?) she whisked us up to the front of the line and let us cut in front of everybody else :D The questions were no problem - it was a breeze.