Does anyone know anything about obtaining visas for Mexico? More specifically, is it difficult for a Chinese citizen to get a visa for Mexico? I know this may sound absolutely desperate and ridiculous, but I live less than an hour by air from Monterrey, and less than 2 hours from Mexico City. I can't believe that it has come to this, but I am actually considering the possibility of moving there, provided, of course, that my fiancee could join me. Any thoughts? Has anyone else on this board raised this idea previously?

I've also thought about Canada, but too far, too cold, and I understand that the visa game is even more difficult there than what we are facing.

Texan,

Mexican visa could be obtained by Chinese citizen, but I don't suggest that you would do that for your fiancee.

Your fiancee is waiting for us visa, and it will be ready in anytime. I understand your frustration. But it is still possible that US visa will come before her Mexican visa. Even We assume that she get a mexican visa before the US one, and she comes to the Mexico, she has to go back to get the US visa when it will be ready( they need to put it on her passport).

I pray for you,

God bless,

LaoMao

I think that you missed his point. They could live in Mexico and he could work just across the border in the US at US payscale. He is right, this is not difficult to do.

At least that way you would be together. I will testify that it is worth the sacrifices that I had to make to be together. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Americans can have dual citizenship, is Mexico one of the countries that allows that? (Alas, China does not recognize dual citizenship) I gave thought to this myself. And it is true that Canada is tightening up on their immigration policies.

There's a Mexican Consulate here in Houston, just down the street from my office. Maybe I'll just have to stop in and get some information. I guess the other issue would be, IF (I no longer use "when") DOS finally decides that I've suffered long enough, how would my fiance's presence in Mexico affect her visa? Obviously, we would have to go back to GZ to pick up the visa - that's no problem. Interesting idea.

I have been to TJ and Juarez, Mexico and I am sure I don't want to live there. Your gal and you will have to learn Spanish. I think the US/Mexico border will have extra security and going back and forth everyday will be a challenge. If you retire in certain community (for Americans) in Mexco, then it will be fine. If you willing to live in Mexico with your gal, you might as well live in China.

I could actually work in one of the Texas-Mexico border cities, such as Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo, or Del Rio, and live across the Rio Grande in Mexico, crossing the bridge each day to go to work in the U.S.  It would not be a big deal at all.  Damn, maybe I'm on to something here.................

I thought of this too and actually called the Mexican Embassy in Beijing myself and asked them to send my wife a visa application. They would not do it and said she would have to go to the embassy to pick up an application in person. This did not seem very friendly but anyway I asked Ping to call the embassy and ask them how difficult it would be for her to get a tourist visa. She told me after she called that she got the idea it would not be easy.

My work is done over the internet anyway so theoretically I could live anywhere that had fast web connections. I would go live in China with her but I am afraid that the internet could get blocked and then I would have no income. So I have scoured the atlas trying to figure out somewhere we could live to be together while waiting for the visa delay process. One of the biggest problems in this question of another country to live is that so few countries will grant a visa to citizens of the PRC. I tried to talk to a Mexican consulate here but could never reach anybody on the phone and they did not return my calls. I called the Jamaican embassy in China and they told me they would grant a tourist visa for a Chinese person but when I checked on a longer term work visa for me it seemed pretty difficult. From my little research I concluded that Thailand would be probably the only viable choice because it is easy for Chinese to get a visa but Thailand does not appeal to me. Well, neither did Mexico for that matter.

I would say that the problem is probably just the fact that with 1.3 billion people, if a country makes it easy for the Chinese to immigrate, they will flood in and overwhelm the local population.

I can understand that they US needs to limit immigration from China. China would double the population of the US as soon as the visas could be processed if it were open immigration. However I still feel that family and then fiancee (future family) cases should have top priority. Currently they come after business men, athletes, tourists, etc.