Chinese typing

Just to chime in about NJStar, as opposed to simply Microsoft Pinyin IME.

NJStar has a dictionary (goes both ways - English <> Chinese), as well as a radical input table. There are also other input methods besides Pinyin.

So for the base price after the trial, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Look at the trial to see the whole set of features.

Another one besides Microsoft IME, which only supports pinyin, is called Wubi. It inputs directly into chinese characters, doesn't use pinyin, so apparently you must train yourself to use that input method. I installed this for my gal and I think it was free to download but it was really hard finding the right web site.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blsqueaky

I have just downloaded NJStar, and neither Ling or I can figure it out. Am I doing something so wrong, or just plain stupid. I have win2000. She knows NJStar, but says I downloaded wrong. I went on their site, and downloaded from the American side.

Thanks for the assist

They have a couple of products, the Chinese Word Processor is the one you should have. I had no install problems, but if you haven't used a Chinese WP before, you will need to have a look at the manual/help file. It's worth persisting with if you have a need to use Chinese characters and I find the dictionary very handy for translation...

Guest blsqueaky
They have a couple of products, the Chinese Word Processor is the one you should have.  I had no install problems, but if you haven't used a Chinese WP before, you will need to have a look at the manual/help file.  It's worth persisting with if you have a need to use Chinese characters and I find the dictionary very handy for translation...

It was the chinese word processer that I downloaded, and that was know problem, it was a problem trying to figure out how to use. If I wnat to translate from english to chinese, I just open up babelfish, and that works just great for what I need. I was trying to find something that she can use, type in Chinese to email to family and friends. Last time she was home, she brought back on of those eletronic pads and pens. I am just a little leary about downloaded since everything is in chinese.

After using NJStar now for about 2 weeks, we are finding it to be rather uncomfortable for people who want to go back and edit comments using such devices as QQ and YahooIM. It also makes some workds almost impossible to find if they are not very common words, such as the characters for elements on the periodic table.

Does someone have an alternative program which can handle these better (and that is still, ideally, free)?

Thanks!

Guest blsqueaky
If you activate Asian language and the simplified PRC soft keyboard in XP or 2000 windows you can type in Chinese. There was an earlier string with more details try searching the site for it if you don't find it.

Tried to search, and dayum if I can find.

If you activate Asian language and the simplified PRC soft keyboard in XP or 2000 windows you can type in Chinese. There was an earlier string with more details try searching the site for it if you don't find it.

Tried to search, and dayum if I can find.

The Chinese language keyboard is in control panel/regional and language/details. You have to add the Chinese keyboard. The input is pinyin and Yue didn't like it.

We just downloaded NJStar. If you right click the button in the lower left you can change the input method. We changed it to "WubiLearn" and Yue loves it. She's a typist and told me she could type 120 Chinese words a minute. I didn't believe it possible before. I do now! The keyboard neds to be in English mode. It gets weird (to me at least) with the keyboard in pinyin and NJStar in WubiLearn.

I run Windows XP.

I have loaded the Microsoft IME for Chinese input.

Also have Kingsoft "Powerword", which will show both English>Chinese or Chinese>English when the cursor is over a word, in any program.

I use babelfish for web translation of sentences..

So, basically, I am useless without a computer..