I am considering moving to China as a last resort I do not think I can survive with out Meixiang.

Can any one provide any information on how one would stay in China long term? I understand China does not allow permanent residency to foreign nationals.

I do not have a degree so I can not teach English except on the side as I have heard others have done.

I do not have any important trade skills to get a job such as engineering.

I would have a retirement so I will have a regular monthly income.

Boba and Meixinag

;)

You can get visitor's visas, and renew continuously, I had continuous visitor's visas for the 5 years before I moved here and got residence visa. Only problem is you have to leave every 30 days. Can be a day trip out, as long as you cross the border. If you're living in an area where it's easy to leave for a day to fulfill your obligation to leave every 30 days, no problem, a day trip to HK takes care of it. Otherwise it could be a bother, but then again, one needs to get out and de-china-ize every 3 weeks or so.

Haven't kept track but I think they are issuing 1 year visitor's visas now. Just can't work here, although I have heard rumours of some that do.

Bob

You have a number of options

C Visa: Issued to crewmembers to perform duties on board an international train, airliner or other vessel, and their accompanying family members.

D Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to reside permanently in China.

F Visa: Issued to an alien who is invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.

G Visa: Issued to an alien who transits through China.

J-1 Visa: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

J-2 Visa: Issued to foreign correspondents who make short trips to China on reporting tasks.

L Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing, family visiting or other private purposes.

X Visa : Issued to an alien who comes to China for study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period of more than six months.

Z Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for a post or employment, and his or her accompanying family members.

If you will have an income which will go much further in China than the U.S., why not apply as a student to study and tutor English for extra income. Sounds like a great opportunity to me. Yes you can get permanent residency in China. I know several who are doing it. One woman from Israel spent 3 years on a student visa. She is now working for the Beijing City gov for the Olympics and they are sponsoring her permanent residency. There are many opportunities in China at this time for foreigners. It is similar to Japan of the 70's. Do you speak, read, write Chinese? Have her arrange for a school in Chinese language and apply for the Student Visa. I hear China processes visas quicker than the U.S.

I know that there have been recent changes in China allowing for a 10 year visa but there are requirements like owning a house, investing money, etc. I think this is something that will be changing more and more as China opens up to the world economy.

Everyone here has felt like you do today. That the process is endless, that you will never be with your SO, etc. But almost everyone does succeed in getting the visa and bringing their SO back to the States. I told my Lu Li long ago that we WOULD be together no matter what I had to do. That I would move to China to be with her if our visa quest failed. And I think that is the attitude you need to get through this. But you are getting close to the end of it. The light at the end of the tunnel is not a speeding train but the dawn of your life together.

Best wishes, Roger & Lu Li ;) :lol:

I am considering moving to China as a last resort I do not think I can survive with out Meixiang.  

Boba and Meixinag      

:P

Your journey has been longer and more frustrating than most so don't give up when you are so close to home plate. I'll stick my neck out and say your journey will be over by June 1st. Things should happen quickly from here on. You've now rounded third and headed for home.

Thank you all for the information and for the support. It really has been a very difficult and often disappointing journey. I have never known a woman like Meixiang and I love her more than I can say in words.

I am very grateful for this web site and I think you all are wonderful.

Boba and Meixiang

I am with you brother! This has been the only thing--besides all the damn hours at work--that has kept me sane. I have only been waiting 7 months, I can't imagine what it's like for you.

Your case is why we are trying to get people to sign our letter. The more signatures we have, the more support we will get from above.

Let me know how your investigation on working in China turns out. I am interested in working there once my SO comes here, we marry, and she spends the two years it seems to get all paperwork in order.

But!! If my case drags on for more than 12 months, I would consider quitting my job, selling my overpriced house and just going over to do whatever...

Can any one provide any information on how one would stay in China long term?  I understand China does not allow permanent residency to foreign nationals. 

I do not have a degree so I can not teach English except on the side as I have heard others have done.

I do not have any important trade skills to get a job such as engineering.

I would have a retirement so I will have a regular monthly income. 

Boba and Meixinag     

:blink:

Gosh, if you could retire why not just go ahead and do so? What could beat that? Just about anything would be enough to live pretty good in China, I have heard.