And a tax question...

I know this isn't a tax help board, but I've discovered in doing my taxes for 2001, the last year I had a W-2, that the gov't owes me back all the tax I paid. This doesn't seem right but seems to be true (with or without my Chinese salary that year). I could prob milk more if I asked for an EIC but don't know if I should go that far.

Do you think they're going to be a bit T'd O that I'm asking for it 3 years later? Or should I just take it as an unexpected boon that will pay part of the IV fee (seems only just somehow...).

Jenny, because of several issues I hadn't filed my last 3 years returns, and when I did finaly last fall, found out the U.S. Gov't owed me a ton of money, both US and California for the years I lived there.

But, there is a statute of limitations, so if you keep procrastinating you may not get the refund. I'd get them filed ASAP. The Gov't would just sqander it anyway. :D

Bob

Thanks a lot Lele and Bob. I will go for it then! It's not a ton of money but every little bit helps.

Do you think it would be pushing it to try for a EIC that year? Going through the worksheet, it doesn't say anything about foreign income not applying, just that you had to be living in the US for at least half the year, which I was.

What do you mean about interest Lele? It's me who just didn't file those years, not them procrastinating.

Thanks again!