Nicola's passport still has her last name

Well I can't believe it but we are going back to China next month. Time has been robbed from us! Where did it go? Its just a different experience once your SO is here isn't it!

Nicola's chinese passport has her old last name on it and her driver's licence her new last name. The travel agent said just use her old last name on the ticket and that's what we're going to do since it matches her passport. When do we change her last name and are we going to have any problems traveling?

She could go to the local chinese consulate/embassy and get the name on her passport changed. I am not sure if this is possible, but I do know of people who have had their chinese passports renewed when they expired (people who stay Green Cards and never go for citizenship in the US).

I am guessing that the name change is possible. Have her read through the chinese version of their website.

Good Luck!

Sam,

Since I assume the airline tickets need to be bought ASAP, make the ticket out in her madien name (the surname in her Chinese passport). Tickets and passports must match. Her state-issued ID (or driver's license) has nothing to do with any part of her travels. She might as well leave it at home because she won't be needing it in the least bit.

But once she comes back, yeah it might be a good idea for her to change the name in her Chinese passport. Maybe.

Yup got to agree with Jim on that one.

Stick with her passport name as that is her travel document so the tickets have to match. Bea did the same with her's and had Elizabeth Mei Sullivan on her and was noted as daughter. It didn't matter to anyone just the fact that passports matched tickets.

As for her Chinese passport in the future.. why waste the time and money of changing it? Bea thought to do this when we were married but found it would cause so much trouble. Just let it run until she has been in the States for 3 years and than naturalize and become an American and get her passport in her new married name.

Others have spoken of the costs and problem involved with name changes and I think doing it at that point was the best solution as you can than do a name change for her social security card etc etc.

Best of luck and call us when in town... I'm sure the two cousins have alot to talk about!! hehe

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

As for her Chinese passport in the future.. why waste the time and money of changing it? Bea thought to do this when we were married but found it would cause so much trouble.  Just let it run until she has been in the States for 3 years and than naturalize and become an American and get her passport in her new married name.

Your suggestion is good, but has one flaw in the reasoning (for SOME of our loved ones...for others, you reasoning I believe is the best course of action):

Most Chinese people I know (including my darling) DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR CHINESE CITIZENSHIP!

If you naturalize, then you must surrender your Chinese citizenship.

If you retain a green card, you get the best of both worlds, being able to easily sponsor the American Citizen the other way for a Chinese Green Card, being able to have unrestricted businesses in China, and in the future, a potentially even more valuable passport.

It all comes down to a simple question however: does your Chinese Partner think of him/herself as Chinese, or American, or other. Unless the answer is American, then they should stick with the Chinese Passport.

Just my own 2 cents on this. For some, your idea is best. However, for most of the people I know, it would be about updating the Chinese Documents...

As for her Chinese passport in the future.. why waste the time and money of changing it? Bea thought to do this when we were married but found it would cause so much trouble.  Just let it run until she has been in the States for 3 years and than naturalize and become an American and get her passport in her new married name.

Your suggestion is good, but has one flaw in the reasoning (for SOME of our loved ones...for others, you reasoning I believe is the best course of action):

Most Chinese people I know (including my darling) DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR CHINESE CITIZENSHIP!

If you naturalize, then you must surrender your Chinese citizenship.

If you retain a green card, you get the best of both worlds, being able to easily sponsor the American Citizen the other way for a Chinese Green Card, being able to have unrestricted businesses in China, and in the future, a potentially even more valuable passport.

It all comes down to a simple question however: does your Chinese Partner think of him/herself as Chinese, or American, or other. Unless the answer is American, then they should stick with the Chinese Passport.

Just my own 2 cents on this. For some, your idea is best. However, for most of the people I know, it would be about updating the Chinese Documents...

Only problem with your suggestion is she wants to sponser her parents to come to America after she is a citizen and it would take forever if your a green card holder. For us, Nicola is coming her to be a American citizen.

If she wants to become a USC, then follow the other person's advice!

Just let her know that by giving up the Chinese citizenship, that in the future, for her to go to China, or for you to open a business in China, will be extremely difficult. Usually, Chinese people who become americans face a tougher time of going back than ethnic Chinese who were born to parents who did the same thing.

If this is the decision that you both want to make, then good luck with all that goes along with it (as well as the paperwork)!