marriage before SS Card is issued

Hello everyone.

Since everything has taken *so* long, and since we may finally be together really soon, we have started to plan what to do next. Right now, we are looking at wanting to get married as soon as possible, to start the paperwork as soon as possible.

However, I have two questions about this:

1. can you get married if your K1 fiancee does not yet have a SSN? I called the town clerk who said it was ok, if on a K1 visa, but on the paperwork, it says that it is not allowed

2. can you apply for AOS before a SSN is issued, so long as you are already married?

We are hoping to save at least 2-3 weeks by doing this...and since AOS is so slow in Boston, a few weeks can really make a difference, we hope!

Lastly, is there the option to file for AOS in a different district of the nation (currently my driver's license and passport have addresses different from my Boston address)?

Thanks to all for your help!

Yes you can get married without a SSN. Yes you can file AOS before you get a SSN. That being said though I think it would be wise to get the SSN as soon as you are married so she can get a state ID card and you can put her on your bank account. Being able to show a joint houshold is essential to the AOS interview, ie joint bank accounts, utility bills, health insurance through your company that sort of thing. What I recomend is that as soon as you get married and before she is in the country 70 days that you take a certified copy of your marriage licence, her passport with visa and I-94 inside down to the Social Security office in your town and apply for a social security number. She can apply in her married name at this time. Once her SSN arrives you can put her on the bank account etc. Then file for AOS. The SSN shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. Good luck!

You can get SSN before being married and you definatly can file for AOS before SSN. SSN usually takes a couple of weeks but in some cases-mine-It can take as long as 10 months. Filing for AOS is no problem. Also. most bankers will tell you that you must have SSN to open an account. NOT TRUE. You can add her to you checking account using her A number.--Been there done that.