Question for all those who have filed using the W7 because their SO is not here yet. I thought I've seen people here say they had their SO mail their passport, so it can get notorized and the notorized copy mailed in with the W7 and Federal Taxes.

I had Fanny send me her passport, but no one will notorize for me because they say the person whose document it is must sign for it.

What should I be doing?

Thanks,

PF

Guest DragonFlower

What you should be asking for is to"certify a copy of an original".

I think there are several posts on here about it.

Notaries are state positions.

So maybe your state is different than Ohio.

But I have had it done twice by notaries at banks.

Once a couple of weeks ago for wife's passport.

No problem at all.

good luck

long

You can submit the passport itself, along with the W-7 and the 1040 to the IRS. Being an original document, it is all the evidence you need and the IRS will return it. No need to send a return envelope. It's all in the instructions.

The only problem I would have with that is the possibility of them losing her passport. How long would they have it, and will they send it back to me?

You can submit the passport itself, along with the W-7 and the 1040 to the IRS. Being an original document, it is all the evidence you need and the IRS will return it. No need to send a return envelope. It's all in the instructions.

The only problem I would have with that is the possibility of them losing her passport. How long would they have it, and will they send it back to me?

I'm not sure, Carl. I never had to do it but it is in the instructions. I would not think that something as important as a passport, that the IRS would just lose it and I would bet that you would get it back much quicker then your refund!..........

But, if I were between a rock and a hard place, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

IRS does have a helpline that can be used to inquire about this.

QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 20 2005, 10:28 PM)

QUOTE (tywy_99 @ Jan 20 2005, 07:43 PM)

I'm not sure, Carl. I never had to do it but it is in the instructions. I would not think that something as important as a passport, that the IRS would just lose it and I would bet that you would get it back much quicker then your refund!..........

I went though thos process last year. I prepared the tax return and the w7, sent them to Beijing and had wife sign them and return to me. Then I sent the paperwork along with her passport and my red marriage booklet to an address back East (the processing center I sent it to only processes w7's.....in Pennsylvania someplace). The process took about 2.5 months, I sent it in around mid-July and received the check in late September. My wife's passport was mailed to her address (even though I provided an express mail stamped return envelop addressed to myself). The passport showed up at her address about 3 weeks before I received the check.

Hope this helps you. It is definitely worth the trouble. If she still had the passport (your wife) she could have it certified at any American Consulate for about $30 US. Timing on sending in her passport depends on when you expect your P4....now-a-days you can count on at least 3 months wait between your P3 and P4.

PapaBear :blink:

QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 20 2005, 10:28 PM)

QUOTE (tywy_99 @ Jan 20 2005, 07:43 PM)

I went though thos process last year. I prepared the tax return and the w7, sent them to Beijing and had wife sign them and return to me. Then I sent the paperwork along with her passport and my red marriage booklet to an address back East (the processing center I sent it to only processes w7's.....in Pennsylvania someplace). The process took about 2.5 months, I sent it in around mid-July and received the check in late September. My wife's passport was mailed to her address (even though I provided an express mail stamped return envelop addressed to myself). The passport showed up at her address about 3 weeks before I received the check.

Hope this helps you. It is definitely worth the trouble. If she still had the passport (your wife) she could have it certified at any American Consulate for about $30 US. Timing on sending in her passport depends on when you expect your P4....now-a-days you can count on at least 3 months wait between your P3 and P4.

PapaBear :P

Thanks, actually we just recieved out NOA2 (001 calls this the P-2). I was thinking about making a photocopy of it and having it notarized here (The IRS said it had to be notarized by an American notary) then sending the oroginals back to her. But as far as the process we still have a few months ahead of us.

You can get a certified copy of your visa/passport/i-94 at most ups stores.. they have notory people there... all you have to do is make the copys in front of them on there copy machine and they will notorize them as authentic.. cost a few bucks but will take away any stress you might have letting the goverment have the orgionals..

Iv done this for the EAD and AOS copys I needed all at the same time.

Just to keep everyone up-to-date. And in case anyone else in California needs this info:

A coworkers wife is a notory and she checked for me. It is correct that in CA, notories can only notorize a copy of a document that belongs to a person present. So I can not get them to notorize Fanny's passport.

But what I can do is type up a page saying that I certify that the copy is an exact copy of the original passport. Then the notory can notorize that document, with my signature. I think it's called a jurat.

PF

What you should be asking for is to"certify a copy of an original".

I think there are several posts on here about it.

Notaries are state positions.

So maybe your state is different than Ohio.

But I have had it done twice by notaries at banks.

Once a couple of weeks ago for wife's passport.

No problem at all.

good luck

long

I just got a copy of my wife passport notorized at a UPS store yesterday...

I used Perry method...

I down loaded it off the internet somewhere... Just look in a search engin for notory authentication forms....It took me a few ---but I finally got one that was worded the way I wonted...

You may have to make copy's in front of them--that is why a UPS store works well---they have a copy machine there...

A coworkers wife is a notory and she checked for me.  It is correct that in CA, notories can only notorize a copy of a document that belongs to a person present.  So I can not get them to notorize Fanny's passport.

But what I can do is type up a page saying that I certify that the copy is an exact copy of the original passport.  Then the notory can notorize that document, with my signature.  I think it's called a jurat.

My Ex was a notary here in Nevada and I started to study for a Notary Lic here myself. I also took my Laopo's passport to the UPS store today, YES it is a jurat- format here was "I (name) hereby declare that the attached reproduction of the passport of (My wife's name) is a true, correct and complete photocopy of that document presently in my control". Then the typical notary type signatures.

MOST notaries in banks in many western states SHOULD not be doing "sworn statements" or "Jurats" BUT I iknow I DOES happen at times. :D