Speaking of Cell Phones

Does anyone know of any carriers or specific phones, that will display an SMS in Chines characters, or perhaps even (though I'm doubtful for this) allow Chinese text input?

Jun is a complete SMS junkie, and while being able to send Chinese character SMS is something she could live without if she had to, not being able to view them from her family would be a real drag.

I'm looking into sending her a wireless phone to bring to the US with her, but I'd like to find one that can at least display the Chinese SMS. I know mine will not. It's not exactly a feature that the US wireless companies advertise either. So before I begin emailing and calling every wireless provider in the US, I thought I'd take the easy way out and see if anyone has dealt with this before me :D

I would hazard a guess that it is with the phone and not really the provider. I think you need a phone with a selection of languages, I would imagine that most have only a selection for Spanish.

Maybe call some cellular reailers in an area with a high chinese population and see if they have some ideas.

I would see what your current wireless company uses CDMA, GSM etc... then buy a phone in China that uses the same mode? (just an idea)

They also have a text to phone messenger Here Not sure if it suits your needs.

Maybe also ask over at

Phonescoop

You don't have to get a cellphone to send sms actually. China Mobile has on-line sms services. You only need to register with your sim card number on any of the major websites of China, such as 163.com, sohu.com, sina.com, etc, and you can send sms on line with your account without a cellphone at all. So as long as you have chinese input software on your computer you can send sms through internet to other china mobile service subscribers with ease.

It's the phone, not the service provider. To be able to read Chinese SMS messages, the phone must have Simplified Chinese as one of the language options for the interface/menus. Otherwise, the message will look like jibberish. The text remains intact though, and if you forward it to a device that understands the character set, you will still be able to read it.

Most mobile phones in the US market do not support Chinese. If you are using a service provider on a GSM network, I'd suggest you purchase a triband 900/1800/1900 MHz phone from China to bring to the US. These phones are not locked into any service providers, so you have the added advantage of being able to use it in China and worldwide as well. Be aware that Cingular uses 850 frequency for the lower band, and this is specific to the US ... a 900/1800/1900 phone will not pick up any signal in certain areas on a Cingular network.

Sony Ericsson makes nice triband phones for the Chinese market. Take a look at the K700c. It's a nice girly phone.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I found our best option. AT&T/Cingular doesn't have service in Roanoke, but T-Mobile does, and supports GSM phones. T-Mobile will sell an activated SIM card, that can be used in any SIM unlocked GSM phone. So as long as Jun can purchase a SIM unlocked GSM phone that matches one of the phones T-Mobile uses, then I can send her the activated SIM card, and she will have a Chinese language phone that works in the US.

Also by switching out the SIM card, it could be made to work in China as well, so if she goes back for a visit, we will have a cell phone while in China without having to get a new one.

Just be careful about matching phones. Phone manufacturers make different versions of the same model for different market areas. Although the functions of the phone may be the same, the frequencies are different. What you really need to match is the frequencies. A dual band phone in the US is different from a dual band phone in China, even if they are the same model. Your safest bet is to purchase a triband 900/1800/1900 MHz phone from China, made for China's market. They will all work with T-Mobile. They will all support Chinese text input. They will all have English as a language option.

Also, if you purchase an activated SIM card from T-Mobile, you are still signing a 1 year contract to use their service. You might as well take one of the free phones they offer. The phones suck, but it's free. Give it to somebody you don't like for their birthday. Or sell it.

Here's a list of quad-band phones I found. It looks pretty updated. Best bet to get a Chinese phone is through your local Chinatown, or directly from Asia.

Geo

GC688

HP

i6315

Motorola

A780

V3 Razr (but not V300)

V180 / V220

V400

V500 / V501 / V505 / V525 / V555

V600 / V620

NEC

515 / 525

Palm

Treo 600 / 650

Sharp

GX32

Xda

IIs

I have a Nokia 6100, and it support Chinese language input. I use it with my wife who if from China. When I go to China, I simply use a China Mobile Sim card, and in the U.S., and AT&T sim card. There are hundreds of phones that support the Chinese language, and chances are in China she is already using a GSM phone, so she can easily get an Cingular Sim card and plan when she comes here.

Lucas