visa too fast?

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Here is our situation: I live with my husband here in Beijing, we applied through DCF and just received the letter that our petition was approved.

I know this is the last thing I should be complaining about, but we are a little worried that the interview will come too fast. You see, we are married but we wanted to wait until June to have the wedding so that my family could come. Now what if the interview comes before the wedding? Would that look suspicious? And even worse, though I know the chances are slim, what if they gave us an interview around the day of the wedding or when my family is visiting and we will be travelling?

Is it possible to send P3 back later? How much later would not look weird? Then, once you get an interview date, (I know I'm crazy to consider this) is it possible to defer and get a later one?

thanks a lot,

*~Louisa~*

Louisa,

Congraduations on the speed of your process!!

Many of us K-1ers here in the US (several here in Portland) conduct quiet civil (legal) weddings to satisfy the requirements of State, and then, as in our case, more spirtual, joyfull celebrations for family and friends when its appropriate..

As in our case, who really wants to do the marriage ceremony in Portland ---- in the dead of winter???

Louisa, I'm assuming that you are legally married and as suggested, your plans for a wedding are aimed at a more formal family celebration. The first thing I would do is to double check the visa validity (IR-1? CR-1?). Usually immigrant visas have a six month validity. If this turns out to be the case, then your husband would have six months after the visa was issued to come to the US. Given your place in line with the P3, I would think that the visa would still be valid come June.

Personally, I don't see why having a ceremonial wedding after the interview would look suspicious. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't try to delay the process and I would take my chances on the interview scheduling.

Frank is right. Unless you plan to go to the US in more than a year, just send the P-3 back. Whether or when you have the ceremony doesn't matter if you are legally married - you have the petition approved already anyway and I'm sure showing your legitimacy will be no problem.

And yes, you should have six months to enter the US after he gets the visa (will be CR-1 in your case). AND the chances of getting an interview much before June are slim, frankly.

In other words, don't take any chances unless you want to be in China for some time yet.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I know I probably won't get an interview before June but I'm still a little worried I might get it in June during which time we have a few plans set in stone like my husband taking the GRE, our wedding, and travel plans with my family. I know its unlikely it'll be on one of those days but it would be just my luck! I guess if worse comes to worst I can reschedule it for a month or two later, so I'm very glad to know thats a possibility.

Thanks again.