Affidavit of Single Status

Hi CFL,
I plan to go the China in January to marry my Sweetie. I put together all the documents I think I need. I do have one Question regarding The Affidavit of Single Status. I had it Public notary sign off on it and the County Clerk okay it. The state also Certified my letter and the Chinese Consulate attach a letter to it. My question is do I need to have my Affidavit of single status translated in Chinese? or ?

Ping&Jesus

Welcome Aboard

Thats exactly what I did. We got Married without a problem. None of my Documents were translated, Single Certificate, Divorce certificates or Passport.

Have fun on your trip

:D :D

Hi CFL,

I plan to go the China in January to marry my Sweetie. I put together all the documents I think I need. I do have one Question regarding The Affidavit of Single Status. I had it Public notary  sign off on it and the County Clerk okay it. The state also Certified my letter and the Chinese Consulate attach a letter to it. My question is do I need to have my Affidavit of single status translated in Chinese? or ?

Ping&Jesus

I was married in Shenzhen, China 2.5 months ago and yes you do need the affidavit of single status to be translated to Chinese. If you have this ready, it'll take about 1 hour to get your marriage booklet. otherwise, it might take half a day or longer.

CK

We should develop a form letter here that people can download that has both Chinese and English on it.

The civil affairs office may also want the notary, county clerk and sec. state's authorizations translated as well, but at least this would provide the main document.

I just posted a ver of income and epm letter but it would not format it correctly. I have copies of that letter as well as single cert. If someone can come up with a way/place for the letters I would be glad to post them.

The Chinese embassy in D.C. has a sample letter of single-status on their website that they didn't have when I got married. At the time, I didn't have a clue as to what a single-status letter was. One day, I called my state's vital records department to get divorce certificates, (I knew what those were...) and I asked the lady on the phone about "single-status" letters. Much to my delight, she said, "Yes, we have them, a single-status certificate. Do you need one?"

:P

Before I moved to Texas I was divorced in Oregon, but because Oregon is out of the region the consulate in Houston served, they cannot certify the document. I would have had had the document certified by the Oregon secretary of state, and send it to the consulate in San Francisco. But when I called the consulate in Houston the woman I talked to she said that since I was now in Texas, and as far as Texas was concerned I was single and never married, just say so in my affidavit. I got it notarized and an Apostitille (international certification) by the Texas secretary of state. I mailed it to the consulate in Houston and they sent back the packet with their attached letter and each page with a red stamp on it (their notary?)

Now as to getting everything translated, the foreign marriage bureau translated everything for me as part of the marriage process.

Jesus, read my answer under your post in the STORIES thread. I gave you some suggestions as to what documents you will need translated and signed by your SO for the filing of the petition. If you get those taken care of early you can avoid future delays when filing time comes.

Forwarned is forarmed

Carl

Before I moved to Texas I was divorced in Oregon, but because Oregon is out of the region the consulate in Houston served, they cannot certify the document.  I would have had had the document certified by the Oregon secretary of state, and send it to the consulate in San Francisco.  But when I called the consulate in Houston the woman I talked to she said that since I was now in Texas, and as far as Texas was concerned I was single and never married, just say so in my affidavit.  I got it notarized and an Apostitille (international certification) by the Texas secretary of state.  I mailed it to the consulate in Houston and they sent back the packet with their attached letter and each page with a red stamp on it (their notary?)

Now as to getting everything translated, the foreign marriage bureau translated everything for me as part of the marriage process.

Jesus, read my answer under your post in the STORIES thread.  I gave you some suggestions as to what documents you will need translated and signed by your SO for the filing of the petition.  If you get those taken care of early you can avoid future delays when filing time comes.

Forwarned is forarmed

Carl

Thank you Carl.

Your suggestions and stories was very helpful. I'm just counting down the days. :)

Good luck on your journey.

Jesus