medical insurance for new arrivals

Does anyone know or can recommend a way to get minimal catastrophic medical insurance for my SO and her child when she comes here until we get married? Once we are married, they will be automatically covered under my employment medical insurance, but I don't know what to do before then. Accidents happen and I just want to be prepared. Any assistance would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

-Jim (and Ning)

Does anyone know or can recommend a way to get minimal catastrophic medical insurance for my SO and her child when she comes here until we get married?  Once we are married, they will be automatically covered under my employment medical insurance, but I don't know what to do before then.  Accidents happen and I just want to be prepared.  Any assistance would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

-Jim (and Ning)

This likely does not help you, but I know that my university offers a way to do this, albeit for a monthly fee. You may want to look, as a local university to you may offer a similar service.

Does anyone know or can recommend a way to get minimal catastrophic medical insurance for my SO and her child when she comes here until we get married?  Once we are married, they will be automatically covered under my employment medical insurance, but I don't know what to do before then.  Accidents happen and I just want to be prepared.  Any assistance would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

-Jim (and Ning)

You can search online for international travel insurance. It does not cover regular doctor visit, however it covers ER. You may also look for temporary medical insurance, i am not sure if it works without a SSN. As you know, your fiancee cannot get her SSN as soon as she lands in the U.S.

Does anyone know or can recommend a way to get minimal catastrophic medical insurance for my SO and her child when she comes here until we get married?  Once we are married, they will be automatically covered under my employment medical insurance, but I don't know what to do before then.  Accidents happen and I just want to be prepared.  Any assistance would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

-Jim (and Ning)

I've personally used Medex Assist and my employer has too. Neither of us have made a claim against it though. You can fill out everything over the Internet.

Medex Assist

USA phone number: 1-800-527-0218

China phone number 10811-800-527-0218

Mark