When should she apply for SSN?

Finally getting the ball rolling of the AOS procedures :ph34r:

When should she apply for a Social Security Number? What's the best way to do it? I found this website:

How To Get A Number And Card

Is this the best way to do it? And it says 3 different types of cards are available to get. Which one should we apply for? I can see that a card that says "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" would be easiest to get (and we have no plans for her to start working soon), but someday we would like her to work, so then I guess a card that says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" would be best?

But when would be the right time for her to get a regular card that doesn't say anything special on it (like mine)?

Carl ... what did you and Bing do? We'll just do the same :unsure:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest Long_strider

We applied at the Beaverton office shortly after we filed for AOS. We had the EAD card in hand so the process was relatively painless except for the spelling mistake in her name which required another card. Yes, it is printed with Valid for Work with INS Aurthorization.

Make sure you have the marriage certificate

Passport

You don't need the EAD card but it makes it easier.

Something with proof of current address, like a postmarked letter in her name. (I sent one to her from work.)

long_strider.

Obviously the first thing we did was get married since that would be required to change her name. After that we went back down to the marriage license place on Hawthorne and got 2 certified copies of our marriage license. Next stop Social security office in NW Portland. We took the certified copy of the marriage license, her passport with I-93 and filled out the application in her married name. When they called our number it took about 10 minutes while they looked her up in the computer. She recieved the SSN about 5 days later. We took the SS card and the envelope it came in along with her passport down to DMV and got her a state ID card with her married name on it. Next stop the bank where I put her on all of my accounts. Pretty easy Jim.

Obviously the first thing we did was get married since that would be required to change her name. After that we went back down to the marriage license place on Hawthorne and got 2 certified copies of our marriage license.  Next stop Social security office in NW Portland.  We took the certified copy of the marriage license, her passport with I-93 and filled out the application in her married name.  When they called our number it took about 10 minutes while they looked her up in the computer.  She recieved the SSN about 5 days later. We took the SS card and the envelope it came in along with her passport down to DMV and got her a state ID card with her married name on it.  Next stop the bank where I put her on all of my accounts.  Pretty easy Jim.

You said that you already had the EAD though when you did this. How did you get your EAD?

Thanks for all of your help Carl!

Obviously the first thing we did was get married since that would be required to change her name.   After that we went back down to the marriage license place on Hawthorne and got 2 certified copies of our marriage license.  Next stop Social security office in NW Portland.  We took the certified copy of the marriage license, her passport with I-93 and filled out the application in her married name.  When they called our number it took about 10 minutes while they looked her up in the computer.  She recieved the SSN about 5 days later.   We took the SS card and the envelope it came in along with her passport down to DMV and got her a state ID card with her married name on it.  Next stop the bank where I put her on all of my accounts.  Pretty easy Jim.

I just printed out your directions and will use them as my step-by-step guide :unsure: Thanks Carl! And LS too.

One question though ... what does it say on Bing's SS card? Authorized to work, or not, or nothing?

Obviously the first thing we did was get married since that would be required to change her name.   After that we went back down to the marriage license place on Hawthorne and got 2 certified copies of our marriage license.  Next stop Social security office in NW Portland.  We took the certified copy of the marriage license, her passport with I-93 and filled out the application in her married name.  When they called our number it took about 10 minutes while they looked her up in the computer.  She recieved the SSN about 5 days later.   We took the SS card and the envelope it came in along with her passport down to DMV and got her a state ID card with her married name on it.  Next stop the bank where I put her on all of my accounts.  Pretty easy Jim.

You said that you already had the EAD though when you did this. How did you get your EAD?

Thanks for all of your help Carl!

lele it was longstrider who got the ead card first. We got the SSN before filing AOS. You can do that if you are K-1. As I understand it K-3 has to have EAD card first but I could be mistaken. We are lucky that in Portland we can file AOS in person and pick up EAD the same day. Every region is different.

lele it was longstrider who got the ead card first.  We got the SSN before filing AOS.  You can do that if you are K-1.  As I understand it K-3 has to have EAD card first but I could be mistaken.  We are lucky that in Portland we can file AOS in person and pick up EAD the same day.  Every region is different.

Thank you for clearing up that situation! Very helpful indeed.

BTW, do you know if they still issue EADs at POE airports?

Thanks!!

The only one I know of was JFK. It may have stopped by now.

Oh! When finally things work out for us *grrr, GZ is so slow* JFK is the intended POE (the direct Beijing to JFK flight). If there *is* a chance to do this, coming in on a K1, will it speed things considerably or is it not a really big deal?

Thanks!

Unless you are in a hurry for her to get a job it's not that big a deal.  It won't change the speed of your AOS any.

You make a very fair point!

For me, I want for her to wait until she is comfortable and finds something that she is interested in doing (there are many things, so I think that the comfort level should come first). However, it is *she* who is in a hurry to get a job. She feels really frustrated that I have had to help her out at all financially, and wants to start to financially contribute to our life together (not the amount is important, but that she is participating!). So, since I think that the idea is noble and wonderful, I really want to help her along with that.

Thanks again Carl. :)

Our SSN experience and Virginia ID card were the same as Carl's. Just time consuming. Sarah has the "not authorized for work.." stamped on her SS card. We then went and got her her own bank acct. and also put her on all of my accts.

Not hard, just another thing to do.

Next is getting my will updated into a Joint Will for Sarah and I.