Food (Chinese or other)

I seem to remember seeing a post similar to this but when I tried to find it, I couldn't....so.....

What is your favorite Chinese food (American-Chinese or Chinese-Chinese)? Or if Chinese doesn't do it for you....whats your favorite food in general?

Sorry about starting all these generic posts, but I'm always interested in the general opinion on things.

nate

I can't get enough "la zi ji". Every time we go out, my fiancee orders a dish of it. I also love spicy Sichuan hotpot. Also "ma po dou fu". But I have to say "la zi ji" takes the cake. Almost impossible to find in the US. US chinese restaurants' idea of spicy chicken is to fry some chicken and dump bbq sauce all over it <_<

i think we like thse posts.... your always had a good turn out so far... right??? <_<

i never was really into american-chinese food, so i didn't know what to expect when i went to china my first time. but as it turned out, the school i worked at had a great restaurant on campus, and i loved the food... i left china craving the food afterward. craved it ever since. cannot wait to go back there... i guess edith has been trying to perfect some of my favorite sichuan dishes!! :P

since being back in the states, i've been trying chinese-american places a little more.... nothing like what i had in china, especially the sichuan stuff...

agreed...i just can't get enough of sichuan hotpot...there is a great place in shenzhen that I got to at least once a week. The food is incredible.

I also was never much of an american chinese food fan...but living in china there is so much great food.

In general I stick to the spicy stuff, hunan, sichuan, hubei food...

unfortunately...im not down with the cantonese food...which sucks living in shenzhen.

nate

hotpot.... one thing i haven't had... edith promised me we'd have it this time... let you know when i get back...

again, i too like spicy stuff. never had hubei food (...that i know of). we hit a bunch of hole-in-the-wall sichuan places are the school and guicheng where she now lives.... but the food is great.

know sure exactly what "cantonese" food is... i just not that they will eat about anyting... a few times, i was fed stuff like snails, and goose intestines.... only once... <_< :P

i had macau food too, tame though interesting ... not my favorite.

Ryan

agreed...i just can't get enough of sichuan hotpot...there is a great place in shenzhen that I got to at least once a week.  The food is incredible.

I also was never much of  an American Chinese food fan...but living in china there is so much great food.

In general I stick to the spicy stuff, hunan, sichuan, hubei food...

unfortunately...im not down with the Cantonese food...which sucks living in shenzhen.

nate

I completely agree! I really most enjoy the *authentic* spicy Chinese foods: sichuan, yunnan, hubei, hunan, chongqing. I also appreciate other *authentic* spicy foods, such as Vietnamese, Thai, Malay, most of the main varieties of Indian food, etc. However, I like my food, when it is supposed to be spicy, to be spicy (like the time that I won money outeating all of the Chinese people in Chengdu). I also like my sour food to be sour and my vegetables and herbs to be fresh!

I too do not appreciate guangdong food too much...if I wanted to eat that, I would get Vietnamese instead (and since I do not eat exotic animals, I guess that I do not need that aspect of it...remember, it was an exotic animal being eaten which started the spread of SARS).

However, after I returned from China for my first time, I was never able to eat anything other than Authentic Chinese again (luckily in NYC there are a few places where one can at least get suantaiyu or shuijuoyu...but the authentic peppers, I still miss them...). I can still eat other varieties of SE and S Asian foods, but even then, I have become picky. *sigh*

---

However, for spicy, so far Laos is the top! It is the only place I have ever been that I once had food too spicy for me. They served me this delictable shrimp, lime, mango, and chili salad. I told them I wanted it hot, and they did not believe me, so they cut up and mixed it up with 8 hot chillies. I tried some, and did not drink any of the coconut that they left for me. So, after two bites, they took it back and said that they would give it to me for real, and they added some more chillies to it. I must admit, after about 1/2 of it, it was too much for me, and that coconut tasted so good! It turns out they added 22 more chillies, to make the total of 30! **sigh** but the sweet, sour, and spicy taste together were really good. <_<

hotpot.... one thing i haven't had... edith promised me we'd have it this time... let you know when i get back...

again, i too like spicy stuff. never had hubei food (...that i know of). we hit a bunch of hole-in-the-wall sichuan places are the school and guicheng where she now lives.... but the food is great.

know sure exactly what "cantonese" food is... i just not that they will eat about anyting... a few times, i was fed stuff like snails, and goose intestines.... only once... <_< :P

Ryan

What?!? You never tried mao's home cooking???

Some of it is pretty good, especially when they have the mala doujiang (is that right, or have I mangled it with something else??).

know sure exactly what "cantonese" food is... i just not that they will eat about anyting... a few times, i was fed stuff like snails, and goose intestines.... only once...   <_<   :P

Ryan

What?!? You never tried mao's home cooking???

Some of it is pretty good, especially when they have the mala doujiang (is that right, or have I mangled it with something else??).

sorry man!!! i know.... i am ashamed.... :( :(

it's one of those things... always heard about it... everyone's eating it all the time... just never yet crossed my path..... ????? wish it wasn't so!

Hmmmm. My most vivid memory of 'real' Chinese food was the snail I thought was a sautee'd mushroom. Thought it was a little crunchy. When my sister-in-law ate one and spit out the shell, I realized why everyone looked at me kinda funny.  :)

*ugh*

It reminds me of a meal in Hanoi that I was a witness to. The man at the head of our table ordered a snake, I thought it would come out cooked, but first, they brought it out still live!!! They placed it on the ground and prodded it, but it would not do anything. So the man yelled and they took it away and brought back out another one. This one leaped to attack, and the man was pleased. They then right there, in front of everyone, (...I will leave out the rest of the details...) and suffice to say they made snake blood wine right then and there. They then passed the wine around and took the snake away (still writhing) to cook it. Luckily, it was before we ordered, so I told everyone I was a vegetarian, and since there are many Buddhist vegetarians in Vietnam, they accepted my account and I was not made to drink it! *whew*

Ok, sorry to gross everyone out...

How did the snail taste???

I will tell you some real horror stories about guangzhou food (guangzhou being the culinary capital of china (supposedly)).

There is a dish that is live baby rats. you just eat them...alive...they are little hairless rats that are supposedly best eaten live...

I don't get it....i can handle some things...but no live baby rats for me.

crazy stuff...

nate

Am I the only person here who doesn't like chinese food?

I can't handle that gross stuff. Like here in Dalian the speciality is sea food, especially live fish- my friend went to a restaurant and was partaking in alcohol, he thought the fish was moving but then again he wasn't sure cuz he drank a lot... but no, it was still alive and being eaten. How can someone do this?? It seems so horribly cruel to eat something when it is still alive....

Not to mention how they kill dogs- they beat them to death to "improve the flavor" or hang them by their back legs on racks when still alive... how can anyone do this??

Oh- and I think my favorite food is soup- cheesy, creamy, hot soup. Like cream of potato, broccoli, white chili, strawberry soup... mmm...

And salty foods- I'm going thru awful times not being able to get salty or cheesy snack foods here in Dalian. Anyone want to send me some cheetos? :)