First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving?

I did not even realize that it was Thanksgiving day here in HK till some one from the states called me and wished me happy holidays. Well, in turn I wished happy thanksgiving to the two new associates who are Americans and they seemed surprised.

Well, who can blame them. They can draft legal documents in Chinese and a partner from Germany politely pointed out my typos in Chinese.

Well, boxing day is going to be here soon. But then what the heck is it? When they took away the Queen's birthday, they replaced it with Budda's birthday. Thank god I don't have to celebrate Mao's birthday!

This was my first Thanksgiving since getting married to ShuPing, of course she wasn't here, but I was still very thankful to have her in my life.

Instead I went to dinner at my ex's - my son's mom - we gather her family and my family together. The only reason to do it is for my son, so he doesn't have to split the day between us. It's still nice, I like my ex-in-laws.

Still, all I could think of was my wife and trying to imagine how nice it will be next year when she and our baby will be there.

We had a very non-traditional Thansgiving dinner :lol: We had our dinner at Planet Hollywood in the middle of Times Square! Not an ounce of turkey anywhere on the table :lol: . I wanted to give her a nice, good, traditional Thanksgiving feast for her very first Thanksgiving stateside, but I was able to come up with a business trip that put us in New York for the three days prior to Thanksgiving, then we stayed there for the next fours days ... for a grand total of a solid week away from the office without taking any vacation days :lol:

And since I don't know a soul in the NYC area, and didn't want to shell out mucho $$$ for a big fancy dinner at an overpried NYC restaurant, I figured we'd skip the traditional experience this time around and do it next year. So when evening fell upon us on Thanksgiving, we happened to be in the area of Times Square. We walked around a bit to see if we could get a table somewhere, and we noticed they had immediate seating at Planet Hollywood, so in we went. We didn't even try to go for anything traditional. I had the steak, she went for the pork chops, and we had mexican rice, spicey soup, and some other things that no one eats on Thanksgiving. I guess this way I was able to "save" the pleasure of a Thanksgiving dinner until next year :wub: