visa for his parents

Last night Xiao Ming and I were discussing how wonderful it would be if his parents could come to our wedding in the US- has anyone had any experience with parents or other family members getting tourist visas to the US?

Some specific questions are: how long does it take, do they have to go to an interview, what are the chances of success, how much "proof" do they have to have that they will return to China, how long are the visas usually issued for.....

We're thinking it's gonna be pretty near impossible, especially as his parents only make about 2,000 USD a year. But we want to look into it in case it's easier than we thought (yeah right!)

If anyone can help it's very appreciated!

Thanks

It can be done. Longstrider and his wife successfully had her parents come to visit. The trick is to show enough ties to China that they wouldn't even consider wanting to stay here. Things like jobs, real estate, children or grand children, anything they can think of that would prove they will return . Even then it's stilll a crap shoot depending on the VO you get.

I don't have any parent stories, but my fiancee was able to come to the States several times, so I might be able to provide some suggestions. The first time she got her visa it was a complete shock really. She showed pictures of us traveling together throughout China and southeast Asia, her housing ownership certificate (whatever it is called), her bank account information (it had to be frozen for 3 months), a letter from me with our travel plans, an invitation letter from my mother and a letter from her company. The VO looked at ALL of it and issued the visa. It was for a Christmas visit and the company I was working for at the time was rather well known by the consulate (I was working in Shanghai at the time), so I think they may have cut us some slack. But it was really just good fortune.

She didn't apply for a second visa for a little over a year after that, and the second one was a bit more of a trial. In addition to all of the above documents (most of which they barely looked at, if at all) they wanted to see MY work (Z) visa and work contract. Essentially, the VO (a different one this time) figured we might be trying to get around the system-the first time may have been for a visit, but now we were going to get married (or so he thought). A second visa is usually easier, but I guess if you haven't applied with a great amount of regularity, they might question it some. I didn't have a work contract or a Z visa (I was working on multi-entry Fs which I renewed every 6 months), but my boss wrote a letter which I guess was convincing enough because the VO reluctantly issued the visa. My fiancee visited the US like 3 times on that visa. The two visas she was issued after that (one of which was issued while I was already back in the U.S.) were both obtained pretty easily.

This was before they started collecting fingerprints (which does add a short "interview" to all applications while they take the fingerprints-although they don't call it that ...) I have heard stories of a few people who had frequent prior US travel who were nonetheless rejected because during the fingerprint "interview" the VO did not believe some of their information. The B-2 visas I've seen recently were also interested for VERY limited periods-and in one case had very specific travel dates and the Ameican husband's name listed right on the visa.

Anyway, B-2 visas aren't impossible, but the amount of proof they require does place a pretty large limitation on the number issued. As they state somewhere on the website (I think) they won't provide a complete list of documents you need because (i) every case is different and (ii) otherwise people would simply assemble those documents whether they intended to come back or not. So, you need as much proof as possible. Some things I can think of that might be helpful include:

(1) letters/documents showing on-going employment and amount of time they are permitted to take for vacation; and that the employer expects them back;

(2) home ownership documentation (and it should show that they have no plans to move out or rent it to others) - or alternatively evidence that they are under a long term rent agreement that they need to return to;

(3) evidence of family members they have to take care of or have strong ties to -- I've heard a theory that the Consulate is more likely to issue a visa to one parent rather than to both, with the idea that the one is more likely to come back if the other is still in China;

(4) a detailed travel plan with the date of your wedding, what they will be doing both before and after, where they will stay, where else they will travel, what dates they will be leaving and returning on, etc., etc., etc. The more it shows a definite travel plan, the more likely they may see it as an actual "visit" as opposed to a "move".

(5) anything else that shows that they will DEFINITELY return to China.

However, none of the above is determinative. A buddy of mine has tried to get his former girlfriend (now wife) travel visas no less than 3 times at two consulates in China (because of where he lived and where her hukou was, both were possibilities) and was rejected every time. He had a situation quite similar to mine (working in China on F visas without a formal contract) but his wife's situation wasn't quite as good (no home ownership or long term well paying job). So, while our situation was a bit better, I'm pretty convinced that there's no one definitive document you can use as proof of sufficient ties that will work every time. I also have a strong feeling that the applicant's financial situation plays a rather strong role. (This may seem unfair, but is somewhat understandable, because if the person has a good life in China they are theoretically less likely to be seeking an escape for a better life in the U.S.).

Anyway, each application is RMB 830, plus whatever you have to pay for the ridiculous phone appointment service (RMB 54 for the card?). The amount of time you have to wait for a visa interview is significantly shorter than for immigration, but is likely to be a month or longer (you'll know the date when you call on the phone). The visa used to be issued the same date as the interview (you just had to wait for them to paste it in), and I'm guessing the fingerprinting hasn't delayed this much (probably still available same day - but I'm not positive about this.) After you've visited the U.S. once and want a second visa, you can use a "drop box" service in the CITIC banks (where you pay the visa fee). The second visa doesn't require an official interview, but you do now have to go in for your fingerprints and a short interview does happen then (as I discussed somewhat above). The major advantage is that there is almost no wait period - you get your passport back with a date to have fingerprints done within about a week after you drop it off at CITIC.

I say go for it!

The cost of the application isn't really a lot of money, it's about US $100 each.

Of course they will need passports and other documentation first. But, this is an important event and I think you should try to get them the visa unless it's a financial or emotional hardship if you don't succeed.

There are about a million ways to look at 'strong ties' which is the typical rejection reason. Actually, it's 'lack of strong enough ties', but if you tell the truth on the paperwork and make a convincing case then it just might work.

There are a few theories about ways to increase the chance of getting a tourist visa, and I'm sure there are a lot of people here on CFL that will explain them to you...

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Hey, glad you asked this Amber. I too have been wondering this for a while.

After hearing NY-Viking's response, I feel motivatied enough to encourage Edith's mother to try... Thanks, Viking.

We had talked about this earlier, but thought it would be a vain attempt. Before (and before we were ready for) the K1 process, we tried (somewhat naively) to obtain a B-2 visa for Edith to visit me. At the time, we had every intention for her to return to China, just wanted more time together; but of course we were denied. :D She admitted stratight up "I am going to visit my boyfriend"... REJECTED... we should have known better. The VO was really pleasant, but obviously we didn't show enough "strong ties"... the main thing we had was a work contract she had with her school. Anyway, we are now on the right path. ^_^

I am just hoping the result will be different for her mother. Based upon Viking's experience, i think her mother could make a very good case for proving "strong ties". It would be wonderful if her mother was in the US for the wedding. It would make the day so much more wonderful for everyone. :)