Tax Question

I will claim my 13 year old step-daughter for this year. I know I will have to file the W-7 form for her.

I tried getting her a SS number last month but they said I will have to get her an EAD card first! I filed her I-485 back in July and I will wait for her to get her alien registration card first before spending a $120 on the I-765. That's what I told SSA. I later called CIS helpline and they said yes, she can get a SS number with the green card and not filing (and spending) for an EAD card for a 13 y.o.!

My question concerns my wife; do I use the ITIN from last year or do I use her SS number this time? The SS card says " for work purposes only."

-TY

Hey Tony, It only take about 90 days or less to get your EAD card, go ahead and get your SS# application started, all they will need in the end is the EAD card. I had the SS people go ahead while we waited for the EAD. It took almost exactly 90 days. After they get the EAD, it will be 10 biz days after when you get the SS#.

Patrick ^_^

I found the official IRS letter [CP-565 (Rev. 12-02)] sent to us assigning the ITIN for my wife last year.

The letter states, more or less, that once you get a SSN, start using that number for tax purposes instead of your ITIN. It further states, "When you receive an SSN, please send a copy of your social security card with a copy of this notice to the address shown above... so that we can update our records."

There is also a number you can call for assistance that I found amusing: (215)516-ITIN........... :lol:

-This is not a toll free number....... :lol: